Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Reving!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reving!

Hello! I have a 2004 ford F150 with about 58,000 miles. When I reach a speed of 30-33 mph the engine revs for a second. My husband is out of work but I really need to get this looked at. Any ideas what the problem could be and what it usually costs to fix? Thank you!
Old 10-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on how you drive that could be 1st to 2nd shift point. The RPM will rise for a second. Is the engine light coming on?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:24 AM

No the engine light isn't on, and the atf is fine. It just started doing this on Friday. I also notice (especially when I am next to a building and sound bounces) a "flapping" noise, as if a belt is loose, or frayed?
Old 10-30-2010, 06:48 AM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well that could be a possibility, the belt could be worn and slipping allowing the engine to rev up due to the decrease in engine load. Look at he belt while it is running and see if it is steady or flapping.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:05 PM

I would tell my wife to take it to say a Midas or even an Auto Zone and ask there advise most will take a look at it for free then see if the repairs are affordable and not likely to ground you if some thing major is wrong...
Old 11-01-2010, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by AFSOCSGT
Well that could be a possibility, the belt could be worn and slipping allowing the engine to rev up due to the decrease in engine load. Look at he belt while it is running and see if it is steady or flapping.
What belt are we talking about? Okay, okay you can stop laughing! I know nothing about cars that's why I'm here!!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:34 PM
M&D

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by vally4
What belt are we talking about? Okay, okay you can stop laughing! I know nothing about cars that's why I'm here!!!!
The serpentine belt, front of the engine, should be fairly obvious as your looking at it.

I would take it to ford if your convinced its a mechanical issue. It will cost about $100 to have it diagnosed but they will find and correctly diagnose the issue. Midas/autozone/etc to put it bluntly, dont know what thier talking about and will try and sell you something you dont need.

Quick Reply: Reving!