Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Replace Timing Set/Oil Pump or Entire Engine??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Replace Timing Set/Oil Pump or Entire Engine??

I have a 2005 F150 with 167k miles on it. About 10k miles ago it starting throwing a P0015 code. I replaced the VCT solenoids but it did not solve the problem. So I took it to the Ford dealer to have them diagnose the problem.

The first time I took it in, they said they could find no problem, they weren't able to reproduce the problem and that the code was an anomaly. They cleared the code but on the drive home from the dealer the code occurred again. I figured out that the engine had to be warm for the code to show up. I took it back to them the next day and was a bit rude and told them I was not going to pay another diagnosis fee since they diagnosed it as fine and then less than 20 minutes after I took the truck back it had the same issue. (In hindsight, my attitude may be the reason that I am skeptical of their diagnosis and recommended fix below.) I told them that the engine had to be warm for the code to show up. This time they returned a diagnosis of low oil pressure due to exceeive crankshaft endplay. I was told that I could replace the crankshaft thrust bearings but they strongly recommended replacing the entire engine because the low oil pressure likely starved the engine of oil and that the top end cams & other metal to metal parts would have excessive wear and would fail prematurely. They gave me a price of $7k to replace the entire engine with a Factory Ford re-manufactured engine.

Since taking it to Ford, I have put 10k miles on it and performance has continued to decline. After the engine has heated up the truck will studder and backfire or detonate prematurely under load (when going up hills and at WOT) and just has trouble in higher RPM's. When the engine is cold it runs great which I have deduced is likely due to the oil being thicker so the engine maintains higher oil pressure. The engine has also started to make noise from the timing area or phasers and sounds like the chain guides may have broken but I have not taken the cover off to check them. From what i have read on the forum and from Ford Tech Makuloco's Youtube videos, it sounds like the timing guides could be contributing to the timing/lack of power/codes.

This truck is no longer a daily driver, and only gets about 2-4k miles per year on camping and hunting excursions. In an effort to reduce repair costs, I am considering replacing the timing set, phasers, high volume oil pump and the thrust bearings rather than replacing the entire engine. Does this sound like a waste of money or should I just replace the motor?

I have done all of my own mechanical work on cars for the last 20 years but this particular problem has me stumped!

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the crate engine. AER Manufacturing. I heard they build the crate engines Ford sells. It looks like sometimes doing the whole timing kit, phasers etc. still does not solve the problem, and you are faced with opening the engine back up again. Especially with those miles, crate engine hands down.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an -06 4X4 5.4 as a spare vehicle. It's totally smooth and quiet now, and I usually only drive it once a week to keep it in shape. I park it with the driver's side along the brick wall of my house to amplify any sound. Each time I crank it, I stand outside the cab, and listen for any evidence the tensioners are beginning to leak down, and cause the timing chain to slap a bit until sufficient oil pressure is reached. If I ever start to hear that noise, I'll either have the tensioners replaced and a high volume oil pump added, or sell the truck and find a 4.6 4X4.
Old 07-18-2019, 10:40 PM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

Same opinion here. We have a 2007 5.4 4x4 that we have had since new and at the moment, it runs strong with no odd noises. That being said, I also park it in a carport up against a wall and listen for engine noise. Nothing yet. Never mind over $3,000 in repairs over last year. New MAF sensor last year and complete a/c kit this year.

We are also trying to keep it going as a strong back-up vehicle. It has about 165,000 miles on it and has been well maintained. With proper both Motorcraft Ford oil filter and Ford semi-synthetic 5/20 oil at an oil change interval of less than 4,000 miles.

Maybe that matters.

Quick Reply: Replace Timing Set/Oil Pump or Entire Engine??