Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rear diff burned up???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diff burned up???

I've got a question that someone on here might be able to help with. I have a 06 F-150 XLT. I purchased it in 2008 and bought the extended warranty which lasted up to 75k miles or 11/18/11. I've got 67k on the truck now. I left Ohio, where I bought the truck from and had my last oil change done at the dealer when I purchased the truck. Part of my purchase was free oil changes for life at that dealer. I picked my truck up, and headed out west to California. 3,000 mile drive over 3 days. I have been here for about 2 months now. Last week, while driving on the highway at 75mph, my tires locked up and I spun around a few times, luckily avoiding all other traffic. I got out of the truck, and when I looked underneath, my drive shaft was on the ground and my rear diff was literally facing backwards due to the torque. I had it towed to the nearest Ford dealer. The damages were $2600. I contacted the dealer that did my oil change to see if there was anything they could do to assist in the repairs. No surprise, they said it's past the warranty, so sorry. I also asked for the area Ford Rep's number and I was told they didn't have one???

My complaint is that when they did my oil change, shouldn't a rear diff leak have been noticed? On my receipt from the oil change, it says they checked the drive shaft and u-joint and lubricate. From my understanding, the oil in the diff is pretty thick and unless there's a giant hole in the diff, it won't leak out in 2 months.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, and thanks for any help or assistance.

Quick Reply: Rear diff burned up???