Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

"rattling" in Front Left wheel wheel, intermittent, only on right turns??

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Flyin' F150

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "rattling" in Front Left wheel wheel, intermittent, only on right turns??

OK Guys, Ive got a few ideas, but I'd like a few opinions before i start tearing things apart and replacing parts...

I have a 2013 F150, 3.5L V6 Turbo (Ecoboost). I drive a LOT, truck has 170K miles. About 2 weeks ago, i started noticing a slight "rattling" noise in the front left wheel well. Its ONLY on right turns, and its intermittent, probably 50% of the time. I have not figured out any other factors when it happens, opposed to doesnt. So, here is what i have done to narrow down...

- Jacked up the front
- There is NO play in the wheel (no lateral movement; top/bottom shimmy)
- Wheel spins freely, and there is NO "rattling" when i turn it whiled jacked up.
- Wheel spins freely in 2H AND 4WD...should it be rigid when 4WD is engaged? i could be wrong.
- I replaced the wheel bearing approx 10K miles ago.
- There are NO rips/tears in the CV boots, and sound is not the typical CV "clicking"
- Dust shield behind rotor is NOT loose.
- Control arm, strut, coil all appear solid. and have been replaced in the last 50K-ish miles

Also...
- Alignment is SOLID. no pulling, shaking or even slight vibrations. Truck rides smooth, and solid...EVEN during the rattling on right turns.

I have read a few other threads that mention the I.M.E.. Vacuum hose appear intact from what i can see. I have NOT checked the vacuum from the solenoid yet, but wouldnt that affect both sides anyway??

If it was the axle/CV joints, wouldnt the sound be more frequent? as well as cause a knock, or vibration in the steering?

Thoughts and opinions welcomed before i start pulling more apart and replacing random parts.

Thanks in advance!!
The following users liked this post:
Firefox13 (06-13-2019)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:48 PM
New to Fords

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I had to replace 3 of my 4 front end ball joints at 140k miles due to wear and a rattling that you describe. I had no play in the wheel while the trucks weight was on it, or when the front tire was in the air on a jack stand. the only time I could feel it was when I jacked up the frame and the wheel had just a touch of weight on it. At that point there was play. This is the same as when you drive and the suspension unweights around a corner, though I felt and heard mine more over bumps.
Old 05-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

Is that a heavy, clattering rattle? Yeah, I have that. Time to rebuild the front suspension.

Quick Reply: "rattling" in Front Left wheel wheel, intermittent, only on right turns??