Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.
View Poll Results: What could cause the grinding noise?
Vacuum box next to the battery
0%
Vacuum line itself
0%
Other
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Random grinding noise in 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Random grinding noise in 2WD

Hey guys, I've been so frustrated trying to figure out a problem with my 2007 Ford F-150. I'd really appreciate any feedback and advice.

So when I drive in 2WD I hear a random grinding noise for 5-10 seconds and then a clunk as if something got in place and it stops. Everything is fine when I drive in 4WD. So I've been reading a lot online and checked out the transfer case fluid- it was clean and no metal pieces were visible. Then I read that it might be the solenoid or actuators. So I decided to change those and still haven't fixed the problem.

Any ideas of what it could be? I took it to the mechanic and he said it might be some part under the back seat (that's what his little gadget told him) but he doesn't really know the 4x4 system since he only deals with engines. Now I've disconnected the vacuum tubes that go to the wheels just to not get the grinding noise. Seemed to fix the problem temporarily to not ruin what ever part is affected by the grinding noise but I can't use 4WD. So I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Quick Reply: Random grinding noise in 2WD