Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Radiator Sludge

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Sludge

Gentlemen,

Im the midst of trying to restore my 96 XLT 5.0 I just notice there was zero coolant in the overflow tank so I opened the radiator cap to find this……

what are my options now? Do I need to replace the entire radiator? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 04-27-2024, 05:45 PM

Received 464 Likes on 412 Posts

A coolant flush is in your future.
I would first fill the radiator and overflow/expansion tank and run the engine for 20-30 minutes and look for leaks and that will give you additional information in regards to a possible radiator replacement. My guess is the radiator is probably ok but water pump should be monitored for leakage and if leaking plan to replace.
Make sure the flush product that you use is designed for your vehicle (aluminun components or cast iron) DO NOT USE FLUSH DESIGNED FOR CAST IRON IF YOUR ENGINE OR HEADS OR RADIATOR IS ALUMINUM. Make sure you use the correct flush solution/chemical and follow the directions. An important item to check is the cooling system design volume. You will need to know that number when it comes to filling the system after your flushes and rinses are completed. After the final flush you need to drain out as much water as you can for example if the system volume is 20 quarts you need to drain at least 10 quarts so that 10 quarts of pure concentrated coolant can be added to the residual water left in the cooling system after the flush water is drained. In the example 20 quart system capacity, 10 quarts of concentrated antifreeze added gives you a 50/50 antifreeze mixture which is the recommended ratio.
You should considered changing all hoses and the thermostat (Motorcraft) while you are working on the cooling system.
The following users liked this post:
Bantonio83 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 06:20 PM

Received 1,163 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimboy
A coolant flush is in your future.
I would first fill the radiator and overflow/expansion tank and run the engine for 20-30 minutes and look for leaks and that will give you additional information in regards to a possible radiator replacement. My guess is the radiator is probably ok but water pump should be monitored for leakage and if leaking plan to replace.
Make sure the flush product that you use is designed for your vehicle (aluminun components or cast iron) DO NOT USE FLUSH DESIGNED FOR CAST IRON IF YOUR ENGINE OR HEADS OR RADIATOR IS ALUMINUM. Make sure you use the correct flush solution/chemical and follow the directions. An important item to check is the cooling system design volume. You will need to know that number when it comes to filling the system after your flushes and rinses are completed. After the final flush you need to drain out as much water as you can for example if the system volume is 20 quarts you need to drain at least 10 quarts so that 10 quarts of pure concentrated coolant can be added to the residual water left in the cooling system after the flush water is drained. In the example 20 quart system capacity, 10 quarts of concentrated antifreeze added gives you a 50/50 antifreeze mixture which is the recommended ratio.
You should considered changing all hoses and the thermostat (Motorcraft) while you are working on the cooling system.
#1 ^ this. The only add/clarification I’d add is:

- you need to know 2 capacities: 1) total system, and 2) block only (and from there be able to calculate and mix to effective 50%)

- search YouTube for: fordtechmakeuloco diy flush.

The following users liked this post:
Bantonio83 (04-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Radiator Sludge