Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Question on brake job

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2022, 05:42 PM
Ford newb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question on brake job

I need to install new emergency brake shoes, and I have a question about taking the calipers off the rotor. This is for a 2006.

Will I need to loosen the bleed screw, or bleed out any brake fluid? At about 2.00 in this video, she loosens the bleed screw, and says she does that to avoid damaging the ABS. Other videos I've looked at don't include that step.

Just to clarify, I'm not replacing the pads on the caliper. I'm just moving it out of the way, so I can get to the brake shoes inside the drum.

Thanks.

Last edited by ShiFty-150; 07-04-2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:32 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 696 Likes on 503 Posts

Just remove the calipers like you would the front and hang them with something so you don't put pressure on the lines.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:43 PM
Ford newb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

I finally got around to doing this job. Wasn't too hard, except that I had the brakes taken apart on the right side before I realized Auto Zone sold me the wrong shoes. Had to put everything back together, and drive the truck over there, and start over again.

Naturally, I'll have to go back for a third try at adjusting them correctly. Just wish it wasn't 95-101 degrees every day, lately.

On the plus side, I didn't find any other problems, so I'm counting my blessings on that score.

Quick Reply: Question on brake job