Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

(preventing) Undertorqued front struts and control arms

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (preventing) Undertorqued front struts and control arms

Hi everyone,

I recently upgraded my 2018 with Bilstein 5100's, but then noticed some clunking in the front. I went around again and tightened everything as much as I could, using the same strength as it took to get them loose (not measured with a torque wrench or anything) or an impact driver, but I had the shop look at it and they said the bolts on top of the struts and a couple control arm bolts were a little loose.

It's all fixed now, but I'm going to need to replace the UCAs in the near future (Didn't know I was going to need them or I woudl have at the same time...) and basically loosen all the same bolts. I realize this is a vague and silly question, but any advice on how to get those bolts tighter, especially on top of the struts? I had a decently long wrench in there and don't think I'm as weak as this post make me sound .
Old 11-17-2022, 02:06 PM

Received 328 Likes on 208 Posts

You need to get yourself a 1/2" and 3/8" torque wrenches and follow the specs for suspension and brakes especially. Now that that's out of the way. I believe the top shock mount nuts are 30 ft/lbs, I did mine to 35 ft/lbs as that sounded too low to me, haven't come loose after a few years. That's a decent grunt with just a wrench.

The upper control arm bolts are 111 ft/lbs. The one facing the rear you can get a big 1/2 torque wrench in there and get that easily. The nut facing the front of the truck you can't fit the torque wrench in, but you can a wrench. Getting 111 ft/lbs with a single wrench is going to be very tough, you have to double them up (pic below) and try the replicate the force used on the rear nut with the torque wrench. Again, unless you're a seasoned tech, suspension torque specs should really be followed.

The following users liked this post:
bbrannon4 (11-17-2022)

Quick Reply: (preventing) Undertorqued front struts and control arms