Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Power steering assist fault

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering assist fault

Hello everyone...new here..figured id try and get some help here. I have a 2012 XLT 4x4 (electric power steering)
When my truck is parked overnight and i go to start it and put it in gear, the power steering doesnt work and THE POWER STEERING ASSIST FAULT indicator comes on...Doesnt happen all the time or when im driving, just when its put into reverse or drive usually when cold....if i shut the truck off for 15 or so seconds, it goes away...Today it happened and after 3 attempts it went away..Im thinking it has to be a sensor somewhere, but its pretty aggrivating...anyone hear about this happening, or have it happen to them? Any advice appreciated...
Old 09-29-2015, 08:42 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

There have been reports of intermittent issues with the EPAS rack and/or sensor acting up and will be covered under the base 3yr/36k mile warranty as the entire rack assembly has to be replaced, the internal sensor is non serviceable.

If your outside the base 3/36 I hope you bought a Ford ESP because that repair is upwards of $2 grand.
Old 09-30-2015, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank u...interesting the sensor cant be replaced...truck only has 59k...its got beefier tires with like 10k on them, but no bigger than stock and i had a similar pair on there before and that never caused an issue..
I was hoping the whole rack wasnt gonna need replacing, but it seems like everyone is saying that....well 2k is better than 40k for a new one...it doesnt happen when driving, its just one of those P.I.T.A. things that irk u...sometimes it does it and other times its good for a week...
Thanx

Quick Reply: Power steering assist fault