Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

power lock diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default power lock diagnosis

My 2003 F150's power locks are not working properly.

When I use either the remote or door control I can hear the actuators click and sometimes I see the locks move slightly.

How can I figure out what the issue is?

Is the door panel of a 2003 difficult to remove?
Old 01-29-2011, 01:28 PM

Removed the panel and took a look at the actuators...I don't see any substantial movement that simple lubricating would fix....guess I need the actuators replaced...comments?
Old 02-03-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my 2000 does the same thing. interested in advise. i removed the actuators on my 89 mustang, but dont want to do this on my trucks. sorry no help, but maybe the bump will get some.

Last edited by garyk; 02-03-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-03-2011, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddbrown
Removed the panel and took a look at the actuators...I don't see any substantial movement that simple lubricating would fix....guess I need the actuators replaced...comments?

You didn't see any substantial movement, so you didn't try to lube it?
Is it hard to turn your key in the lock? When was the last time you lubed your locks and mechanisms?

Last edited by sharptp; 02-04-2011 at 12:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:41 PM

Sorry,
yes i did spray it and it didn't help. It is not hard to turn the key when I unlock it manually
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 PM

It is not hard to manually lock / unlock the doors. I hear and can see the locks try and work when I use the controls and even when I start to drive (as they are designed to auto-lock) Since it is both doors acting exactly the same way would it be a central issue and not with something inside the doors individually?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Test power control module and power to the switches. They work together to complete the circuit. The motors work like little electric screw jacks running in and out. If power is to the switch and to the motor trace the ground out, it will be bad. Also since the switches are all inter connected in each door, pay close attention to each one. It only takes one bad in each door to screw it up. You can put in a new motor and it will act up shortly too. Without a good ground the little motor kind of sits there magnetized and grumbling, without enough current/voltage flow to spin it up. Study up on getting inside the door. It's simple but sneeky. Navigate to the search box at top of page and ask question. Sometimes the window seal leaks and moisture messes with stuff. Inside the door can be a nasty place to visit. And it has a leak sealing gasket on it too. Treat it with care.

Last edited by papa tiger; 02-08-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Quick Reply: power lock diagnosis