Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

P2096 Error - Engine Light Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:03 AM

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default P2096 Error - Engine Light Help

Guys, I have this error reading P2096 - post catalyst fuel trim system low limit

The explanation is: The ECM has detected that the fuel trim bias has been commanded lean for more than the allowable calibrated time frame

Probable cause:
-Leaking fuel injector or fuel pressure regulator
-Faulty MAF sensor
-High fuel pressure
-Failed H02S

Anyone had this issue before? I have no idea what any of that **** means. Ha.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help please

I have an identical code that just popped up today.... did you get yours fixed? What was it / how much did it cost?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:09 PM

Surprisingly it went away the next day and hasn't been back on since. I know it sounds strange, I can't remember where I read this, but I think the weather can have an affect on this sensor. We had a massive storm rip through Houston that day and I don't know if it had something to do with the pressure change or what, but it has been fine ever since.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:25 PM

Default P2096

Hello all, just got this code on my 2011 Platinum and coincidentally, I am in Houston. It actually popped up about 2 weeks ago driving back from Lake Charles right after a fill-up, but went away, and showed back up today. Since I'm still under warranty, I have an appt tomorrow to have Sterling McCall Ford take a look at it. When I get some answers I'll make sure to come back and update you
Old 07-09-2012, 12:30 PM

I got it to the shop and had them pull the code. After a full day of diagnostics (yeah right, probably sat in the lot half the morning) they told me my catalytic converter is out (feel pretty positive I have more than one, but I'll let them worry about it). They told me cats have been on backorder for two weeks, so I'll let you know when it comes time

Originally Posted by billycane697
Hello all, just got this code on my 2011 Platinum and coincidentally, I am in Houston. It actually popped up about 2 weeks ago driving back from Lake Charles right after a fill-up, but went away, and showed back up today. Since I'm still under warranty, I have an appt tomorrow to have Sterling McCall Ford take a look at it. When I get some answers I'll make sure to come back and update you
Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Hmm, thats crazy it went away and then came back. Mine hasn't come back on again. Oh well.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 AM

I took my truck on a weekend trip to San Marcos, TX. and the truck drove terribly. Had so much trouble driving uphill, terrible acceleration, etc...Got the cats replaced and it drives just like new

Originally Posted by billycane697
I got it to the shop and had them pull the code. After a full day of diagnostics (yeah right, probably sat in the lot half the morning) they told me my catalytic converter is out (feel pretty positive I have more than one, but I'll let them worry about it). They told me cats have been on backorder for two weeks, so I'll let you know when it comes time
Old 07-18-2012, 10:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a bad tank of gas to me. There is no way a Cat should fail on a 2011 truck...not saying it can't but it is unlikely. From time to time a bad part comes off the assembly line though. At least its warrantied?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just purchased an 09 f150 xlt, and this code came up last week right after i filled up the tank. I took it in to the dealership where i bought it they cleared it, and told me theres nothing to worry about. Yesterday I put in a K&N air filter and this same code is back,p2096. Why would a new filter trigger this code?? Or could it be something more? Other than this the truck is great.!!!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well dropped the truck off today and i should be getting it back tomorrow if all goes well. I'll update once it gets figured out.

Quick Reply: P2096 Error - Engine Light Help