Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

P0023 code on Ford 150 ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0023 code on Ford 150 ecoboost

This truck is giving me a run for my money lately. Got a 2013 F150 platinum with 3.5 ecoboost.. throwing code P0023. In process about to change camshaft sensors and oil and find a solenoid on top front of motor that's leaking oil around seal and I have no clue what it is. I thought it was a VVT but all VVT plug from side and this is top plug. I don't like oil leaks and want to fix this. Does anyone know what this solenoid or sensor is for sure and could it be causing my P0023 code? Any help would be great at this point. Thank you all.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:35 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

How do you know it's a "solenoid", the thing that is leaking? Seems like it might be a position sensor, sitting above the gear. (I don't know the 3.5 Ecoboost).

How many miles on your engine?

The code has several possible causes. Might not be fixed by changing the solenoid/actuator. Not sure what criteria Ford uses to set the code. Might be worthwhile to do the electrical tests first.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0023

A code P0023 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Faulty oil control valve (OCV)
Open or short in the OCV / solenoid valve
Damaged computer (PCM)

p.s. there's a 2013 specific sub-forum. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/ Good luck.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by BareBonesXL
How do you know it's a "solenoid", the thing that is leaking? Seems like it might be a position sensor, sitting above the gear. (I don't know the 3.5 Ecoboost).

How many miles on your engine?

The code has several possible causes. Might not be fixed by changing the solenoid/actuator. Not sure what criteria Ford uses to set the code. Might be worthwhile to do the electrical tests first.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0023

A code P0023 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Faulty oil control valve (OCV)
Open or short in the OCV / solenoid valve
Damaged computer (PCM)

p.s. there's a 2013 specific sub-forum. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/ Good luck.

Well after further review and research those are VVY solenoids after all. Have to get into valve cover from what i am seeing in book to remove and replace. This one only has 138k miles on it. But now truck is also throwing code P0299 with code P0023. So guess i will be calling the dealership in the morning for this one. I'm not in the mood to mess with all of this right now. Can't seem to figure it out on my own and can't find parts local to repair it on my own. Need it fixed for work so in the shop it goes and I will be using a rental I guess.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:55 AM

Received 328 Likes on 208 Posts

The P0023 code is for exhaust camshaft driver side oil control valve (vct) which is the one covered in oil in your pic. It is common to see the seals around the vct solenoids weep oil, but it's usually on the passenger side because the pcv valve isn't functioning, resulting in excess pressure under the valve cover and this blows oil out the seals. Yours being on the driver side I don't get if it's excess pressure, those seals themselves don't normally just leak. The older 5.4L one's did. I'm not an ecoboost owner though. That hose doesn't have a valve on the drivers side and I believe just routes down to the turbo intake. Maybe the hose is plugged? I don't know. You're probably getting the P0023 because the connector and top of the vct solenoid is covered in oil, I'd spray them both clean and dry with electronics cleaner and then see if code clears. Then figure out the oil weep, it's probably been slowly doing this for a long time. If you haven't changed the pcv valve before, it's like $6 and a 2 min job. Same location but on the passenger side. It's a maintenance item.

The P0299 sounded familiar, I read a thread about it a few years ago. There's a common issue with the boost pressure relief valve. If this is your issue, luckily it's on the easier side to check/change and it's fairly cheap. I'd pop it off and check the green o-ring and orange diaphragm closely.

P0299 | F150 Ecoboost Forum

Old 11-18-2022, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2011_aka_Ticky
The P0023 code is for exhaust camshaft driver side oil control valve (vct) which is the one covered in oil in your pic. It is common to see the seals around the vct solenoids weep oil, but it's usually on the passenger side because the pcv valve isn't functioning, resulting in excess pressure under the valve cover and this blows oil out the seals. Yours being on the driver side I don't get if it's excess pressure, those seals themselves don't normally just leak. The older 5.4L one's did. I'm not an ecoboost owner though. That hose doesn't have a valve on the drivers side and I believe just routes down to the turbo intake. Maybe the hose is plugged? I don't know. You're probably getting the P0023 because the connector and top of the vct solenoid is covered in oil, I'd spray them both clean and dry with electronics cleaner and then see if code clears. Then figure out the oil weep, it's probably been slowly doing this for a long time. If you haven't changed the pcv valve before, it's like $6 and a 2 min job. Same location but on the passenger side. It's a maintenance item.

The P0299 sounded familiar, I read a thread about it a few years ago. There's a common issue with the boost pressure relief valve. If this is your issue, luckily it's on the easier side to check/change and it's fairly cheap. I'd pop it off and check the green o-ring and orange diaphragm closely.

P0299 | F150 Ecoboost Forum

Thank you, yeah I cleaned it and replugged it since it was unplugged when i found it 🤷‍♀️. Drove it to dealership to have service check it out and on the way check engine light went off and Ruby is running fine now. I seriously think this truck just likes messing with me sometimes. But either way they are checking her out and going to replace that connector since it won't stay connected. Guess previous owner had issue with it. Only owned the truck for a month now. Thank God for warranty I purchased lol. I was mainly trying to save an hr drive to dealer. But thanks for the advise. I will keep that in mind if this pops up again.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: P0023 code on Ford 150 ecoboost