Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Oxygen Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:11 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Oxygen Sensors

I am curious. My F150 is the first vehical I have owned which is equipped with an O2 sensor, is there any difference in the various brands? I know I will get a engine check light to tell me when I need to replace it but how long on average do they last?

I don't know how many of you watch Formula 1 racing but on the Spanish Grand Prix on the Tech segment they talked about the exhaust manifolds used on McClaren's Daimler Benz engines. in this segment it showed how these manifolds where fabricated, they are works of art and are only good for perhaps 6 hours of run time before the are worn out. I noted with great interest there was a bung for an O2 sensor. It would be interesting to find out what brand of O2 sensor Daimler Benz uses on their F1 engines. Imagine a V8 that rev's to over 19,000 rpm, which has a somewhere around a 1/2 in stroke. who's valves are actuated pneumatically under computer control. The insides of the engine are tightly guarded secrets but it is known that some of them may have as many as 8 valves per cylinder. All this in a racer car who's suspension is so exacting that a 10th of a pound of pressure + or - in the tires can make the difference between a good handling racer or one that is impossible to control.

Last edited by transmaster; 05-02-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:31 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Bosch.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 AM

Bosch was where I was going. I started using their spark plugs back in my air cooled VW days, gosh that is almost 40 years ago.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Their plugs are crap. The oxygen sensors are good though.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:00 PM

Back in my VW days the Bosch plug was one of only two plugs at the time, NGK was the other, that had nickle plated threads that wouldn't destory the threads in the heads of these VW's.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

NGK marine is what I have in my boat.
Originally Posted by transmaster
Back in my VW days the Bosch plug was one of only two plugs at the time, NGK was the other, that had nickle plated threads that wouldn't destory the threads in the heads of these VW's.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensors