Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Output Shaft Seal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Output Shaft Seal?

I believe my output shaft seal is leaking but I’m not 100% sure if I’m naming the correct part.

I attached a photo of where the drive shaft meets the transfer case (?) where it’s leaking from.

If I’m thinking of the correct part, is this a difficult thing to replace myself? I got quoted from Ford for $760, but I’d rather do it myself if I’m able. What would I need other than a replacement seal?

It’s a 2005 5.4 F150 FX4

Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails Output Shaft Seal?-6d199ca7-e198-47a8-88ea-d1572c633181.jpeg  
Old 01-16-2018, 12:03 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

That's the front pinion seal and its a job that has to be done right. If you don't get the bearing preload right it'll be coming back to haunt you later.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I did those all the time. they are ripping you off the seal is less than $30 labor is
1.5 hrs or less should be less then $200 total. have them show you in the labor and time guide how much time it should take.
The following users liked this post:
Shmoop10 (01-17-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Did you take it in specifically for the leak or having other work done and it was pointed out? I had a E350 that rear pinion leaked the 10 years I owned it. The fluid never even needed a top off. If it's just oozing from the seal it doesn't fall into the urgent repair category.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:23 AM

I figured there was something that was going to make it difficult. Now that you told me what the correct part is, I got to watch a video on how to replace it and it seems tedious. I appreciate your help!

Yeah, when I called Ford about it, I told them it was the output shaft seal and they said that it’s “pretty labor intensive” but I’ll give them a call back and let them know the actual problem and see what they charge. If it is actually 760, I’ll probably take my chances and do it myself.

I noticed it a couple weeks ago. I try not to take my truck in for the whole “ripping you off” thing. Smelt oil burning, got under there and saw oil splashed all over the side of the oil pan and everything around the pinion. It’s not “dripping” on the ground or anything, it seems to only leak while I’m driving, so for now I’ll just check the transfer case fluid level and see how bad it really is. No weird noises or anything as of yet, though, so I guess that’s a good sign so far
Old 01-17-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

yes, if you told them front output shaft seal, I could see them quoting it that high. to replace the front output shaft seal on the transfer cse you have to take the t-case out of the truck and disassemble it. your leak is clearly the front pinion seal.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:49 PM

The dealer probably wants to change the crush sleeve and do a fresh set-up on the pinion preload. That's the officially correct was to do it. That being said, it can be done without pulling it apart. Count the threads protruding from the pinion nut and then mark the nut-to-pinion relationship. After the seal is changed, put the nut back on just a couple degrees of rotation tighter than it originally was. A slight increase in bearing preload wont hurt anything and you'll have some pressure on the sleeve to keep the nut tight. Also, clean the threads and use a couple drops of red Locktite.

Trending Topics

Old 01-18-2018, 07:34 PM

Got ahold of Ford again for a quote for the front pinion Seal. The advisor kept insisting that it was the output shaft seal, saying they’ve made the mistake of misdiagnosing it before (which I thought it was weird). He asked how I was sure it was the pinion Seal and when I told him about this forum, he got upset and the conversation went downhill from there. So, I guess we’ll see what they say when I bring it in next week

Edit: thanks for the help again everyone!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:18 PM

All I can say is, the thing in the picture is the front pinion flange and it appears to be the seal behind it that is leaking.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:27 PM

Yeah, it most definitely is. Unless my eyes are deceiving me, that’s the point the oil is coming from

Quick Reply: Output Shaft Seal?