Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Oil in Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in Throttle Body

I a new member here, but have frequented this forum for quite a while as it's consistently offered the best solutions to my truck issues. So here's my first post - and a little background of my current problem:

I have a 1999 F-150 V6 4.2L. Long story short, I was doing some repair work on my engine and had it out - ended up replacing all my gaskets - including the oil pan gasket which consists mostly of a front crescent gasket and the rest is just silicon. More on that in a minute.

After everything was hooked up, I attempted my first start-up. It fired up like nothing was ever wrong with it. I let it idle for a while checking for things I might have missed (leaks, etc). I didn't see anything in those first couple of minutes, so I took it for a short drive (about 5 miles total) and by the time I was getting back home, I noticed a clacking sound (like low oil). I checked my oil and pressure, and sure enough, it dropped completely to nothing. Luckily I was just arriving home, so I shut it off. I didn't properly seal the front oil pan gasket, so I had to fix that. The next day, I put some more oil in it, around what I thought it lost. When i tried to start the truck, I got nothing. The engine turns over, but will not start. So I pulled the air intake hose off to start looking around and noticed oil in the air intake hose (not much, enough to wipe off with my finger). But I then noticed the same small amount in the throttle body! I figured I had overfilled the oil! So I drained all the excess and now oil is at normal levels.

A friend mentioned that I should remove my spark plugs and check for oil on them. There was no noticeable oil on them, but I cleaned them anyway just in case. I also turned the engine over a few times without the spark plugs to see if any oil came out the spark plug holes - nothing there. But the truck still doesn't want to start. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Oil in Throttle Body