Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

oil quantity?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil quantity?

This looks like very instructive board. I am a new ford F150 owner and i have a few ? for you guys .
I just bought a 2009 F150 STX regular cab V8 and i will like to change the oil but i don't know how many qt it takes , and other thing I should go synthetic or regular oil ,it matters what type of oil(synthetic or regular) the previous owner was using in it or not ? Thank you!
Old 01-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by toby123
This looks like very instructive board. I am a new ford F150 owner and i have a few ? for you guys .
I just bought a 2009 F150 STX regular cab V8 and i will like to change the oil but i don't know how many qt it takes , and other thing I should go synthetic or regular oil ,it matters what type of oil(synthetic or regular) the previous owner was using in it or not ? Thank you!
Typially your owners manual will say how many quarts. I haven't done an oil change on mine yet either, but my '04 f150 with a 5.4 took 7 quarts. I have a 4.6 now. Idk if its different. I always run synthetic. You can go 6000+ miles on synth. These trucks have an oil life indicator that is actually very accurate. And you can also switch to sythetic whenever you'd like.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks man I appreciate your reply , thats what I thought too that synthetic oil is better , but I I was not sure of the quantity.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:11 AM
Automotive Refinish Tech

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,135 Posts

Originally Posted by aman6776
Whatever the method of fuel oil delivery, it is possible to determine the volume received on the vessel by taking a sounding or ullage of the receiving tanks.

By making allowance for the vessels trim and or list the volumes can be calculated. At first sight this would appear to be an accurate method of determining the fuel oil volume received, but in reality it is frequently not the case. This is because of the size of the tanks involved, possible inaccuracies in the calibration tables and the difficulty of accurately correcting for trim or list.

Fuel Oil Delivery from Shore Side Tanks

When delivery is received from shore side tanks, the above method may be the only way of estimating the volume received. A better method would be the witnessing of the soundings/ullages of the bunker fuel storage tanks at the beginning and end of delivery. In all probability, it is not possible for the Chief Engineer or a member of ship’s staff to gauge the shore tanks and establish if pipelines were empty or full before and after the bunkering. The only practical way is to appoint a surveyor who has access to the tank and who will be able to carry out the pipeline calculations. Sometimes volume meters are available, but there is no practical way of verifying that meter readings are correct.
The op was asking about the oil in his engine, for an oil change. I don't know what the hell you are talking about. Fuel oil and oil changes are completely different.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Mark

Received 2,429 Likes on 2,127 Posts

Originally Posted by aman6776
Whatever the method of fuel oil delivery, it is possible to determine the volume received on the vessel by taking a sounding or ullage of the receiving tanks.

By making allowance for the vessels trim and or list the volumes can be calculated. At first sight this would appear to be an accurate method of determining the fuel oil volume received, but in reality it is frequently not the case. This is because of the size of the tanks involved, possible inaccuracies in the calibration tables and the difficulty of accurately correcting for trim or list.

Fuel Oil Delivery from Shore Side Tanks

When delivery is received from shore side tanks, the above method may be the only way of estimating the volume received. A better method would be the witnessing of the soundings/ullages of the bunker fuel storage tanks at the beginning and end of delivery. In all probability, it is not possible for the Chief Engineer or a member of ship’s staff to gauge the shore tanks and establish if pipelines were empty or full before and after the bunkering. The only practical way is to appoint a surveyor who has access to the tank and who will be able to carry out the pipeline calculations. Sometimes volume meters are available, but there is no practical way of verifying that meter readings are correct.
LMAO....I think he's saying look in your owners manual...It will tell you everything he's truck needs.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can switch no problem. Motorcraft is about as good as any, and pretty cheap. I think the oil change hobbyists like Pennsoil Platinum a lot. Ford is pretty paranoid about oil filters. If not Motorcraft then some other high tone oil filter of the exact right size.

Quick Reply: oil quantity?