Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Oil pan gasket leaking need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pan gasket leaking need help

Hey guys I'm new here to the F-150 community, I just recently bought a 1998 Ford F-150 4.6 4x4 extended cab short bed within the last 6 months. The truck had was leaking oil from the the oil pan so I decided to tackle the job on one of my days off from work. Bought a Fel-Pro Oil Pan gasket from my local auto parts store. Came home jacked up the truck and removed the support bar that held the front differential, lowered the front axel down to give me enough clearance to pull out the pan removed all the bolts and pulled out carefully the oil pan along with the old oil pan gasket took some brake cleaner and a rag to both the mating surfaces the oil pan and the engine block. Placed new oil pan gasket onto the oil pan and carefully installed the oil pan back onto the motor. Torqued it to spec 180 inch lbs in the correct torque sequence. Then I let it sit for 1 1/2 hours just in case to allow things to settle then I added oil and cranked it up. Let it run for about 45 minutes and didn't leave nothing. But here's where it all goes downhill. Drove the truck to a store checked underneath and was dry as a bone. Went and dropped off a buddy and checked again dry as a bone. Drove home and when I pulled into my driveway checked underneath and found the oil pan was wet and the two back bolts on the oil pan were wet. So on my next day that I had off took everything back off this time I inspected the oil pan put a ruler made sure it was flat and not warped then did same on engine block just incase cleaned and re inspected oil pan gasket nothing wrong so bought some permatex #2 gasket sealer applied a thin layer onto the oil pan and allowed to air dry like the directions say. Then once it became "tacky" I put the oil pan gasket back on the oil pan and re-assembled. Torqued it in sequence at the correct torque then waited 2 1/2- 3 hours for everything to settle in then added oil and cranked up the truck this time let the car idle for 40 minutes not one leak. Turned off the truck and let sit over night. Next day I checked for any leaks and saw a couple drops from the same place in the back of the oil pan got underneath and saw that both back bolts that hold the oil pan to the engine are wet and there was a oil droplet formed in between the two bolts. I'm at a total loss don't understand why it is still leaking in the same spot. I'm up to any suggestions also a buddy of mine told me that I should remove the gasket clean the oil pan and use RTV gasket maker in place of the gasket but don't want to do this job another 5-6 times.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Sounds like the rear main seal is leaking.
There is a shortcut way to replace the rear main seal.
The proper way requires removing the trans and flywheel.
You will have to purchase the tool and seal.
Drop the pan again and replace the rear man seal.
Here's a video that details the job: