Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Oil in coolant On 16 3.5ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2021, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in coolant On 16 3.5ecoboost

About a mile away from my house last night I found my truck was starting to over heat got home popped my hood and seen coolant level was low so I turned my cap a couple of turns to relieve pressure and got oil mixed with coolant come spraying out has anyone else have oil cooler problems with these trucks or are there any other possible causes besides blown head gaskets

Last edited by LanceD; 02-28-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:25 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Could be automatic transmission fluid. What does the oil on the engine dipstick look like?

Didn't you read the instructions on the degas bottle cap?
Old 03-01-2021, 04:26 PM

Yes I knew what it was going to do but I checked oil on dip stick was lower than where I keep it so I pulled of oil cooler and pressured it up i didn’t see a trans dip stick but will pull it as soon as I get home
and I don’t think trans fluid mixes like oil it mostly floats I’m pretty sure

Last edited by LanceD; 03-01-2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by LanceD
Yes I knew what it was going to do but I checked oil on dip stick was lower than where I keep it so I pulled of oil cooler and pressured it up i didn’t see a trans dip stick but will pull it as soon as I get home
and I don’t think trans fluid mixes like oil it mostly floats I’m pretty sure
I'd really like to know what the end result was. I have a 2018 3.5 Ecoboost and I'm getting the exact same description as you. Oil mixed with coolant in the overflow resevoir, but when I pull the dipstick to the engine the oil isn't "cloudy". With that being said, I think I have oil in my coolant, but not coolant in my oil. Did you have to spend a fortune getting it fixed?
Old 11-04-2021, 09:25 PM

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

They have an internal water pump.
Is it possible the water pump seals are failing?

I would think there would be signs of coolant in the oil if that were the case.

Might not hurt to do an oil analysis.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by cdlamb
They have an internal water pump.
Is it possible the water pump seals are failing?

I would think there would be signs of coolant in the oil if that were the case.

Might not hurt to do an oil analysis.

I sure hope it's not the internal water pump, but rather the external oil cooler. Internal is Greek for "a whole lotta money".
Old 11-05-2021, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jgillespie218
I sure hope it's not the internal water pump, but rather the external oil cooler. Internal is Greek for "a whole lotta money".
I don't think they are that hard to replace. They bolt on to the front of the engine and driven internally. No external pulley. I think the rear seal fails, & they start losing coolant into the oil. I wouldn't think it could force oil into the coolant.

Old 11-05-2021, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by cdlamb
I don't think they are that hard to replace. They bolt on to the front of the engine and driven internally. No external pulley. I think the rear seal fails, & they start losing coolant into the oil. I wouldn't think it could force oil into the coolant.
I definitely have oil (foamy brown liquid) in my coolant overflow resevoir, but no coolant on my engine oil dipstick. Do you still think its a water pump?
Old 11-05-2021, 03:37 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Oil pressure is 40-70 psi. Coolant pressure 13 - 16 psi. Crankcase is probably -1 to 1 psi. Estimates...

So oil pushed in to coolant would have to be from one of the pressurized oil passages. I think that the water pump is mounted on the timing gear cover so it would have crankcase behind it. That would probably only go one way, coolant in to crankcase.

Just some thoughts for your diagnosis. I don't know the details of the water pump or the oil cooler.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:24 PM

I am thinking that the head gasket would be the most probable cause, but haven't heard of any issues with them. Compression test would be the easiest way to check.

Quick Reply: Oil in coolant On 16 3.5ecoboost