Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Odd creaking noise while turning

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd creaking noise while turning

2008 4.2 V6 5-speed with about 143k on it. There is a periodic creaking/rubbing noise if the wheels are turned more than about a quarter towards the extreme in either direction, doesn't happen at all if driving straight. The noise is much more pronounced if moving slowly. When jacked up everything in the front end seemed fine, ball joints didn't have play, tie rods were solid, and the wheel bearings had no play. I have no clue what this could be, and was hoping a trained ear could help.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:21 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

I have the 'identical' _Creaking_ symptom on my 2004 Lariat 2wd that you describe. All front end parts (ball joints - upper swing arm - tie rod ends, sway bar ends) are new. The front Hub's - disk/rotars were replaced about 20k miles ago. Really begin to notice this after putting on a new set of wheels / tires from a new 2017 model.

If I go real slow (literally feet per second) while turning like your video - it will sound like a continuous 'popping' like the rubber tire beads rubbing the edge of the rim.

I've had a front end shop re-torque the Hub nut (some 400 ft/lbs), and all the bolts / nuts involved in my front end work. The front end shop said it is the wheel bearings ---- but the sound does NOT occur driving straight - and the noise has been around now about 10,000 miles. I doubt wheel bearing. I am interested in what you find.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:53 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Need a set of chassis ears to pinpoint that.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:41 PM

Okay, I just spent about a little over an hour trying to figure out where this noise is coming from.

I turned the steering wheel to just about every position possible and gave the truck hell in each position, rocking it back and forth to try and recreate the sound. I did this with the front end on a jack, and with the truck on the ground. Nothing.

Next I got under it and got touchy feely.

First I thought this was sway bar links, just based on a bunch of other forum posts (but they seemed to all be for Tacomas). Then I thought it was a wheel bearing, but the noise doesn't happen while driving straight. Next it seemed it was brake related because when spinning both front wheels with the truck off the ground, it sounds like there is a very small high spot on the rotor, on both rotors. If it's brake related, wouldn't I feel it all the time while driving?

So this brings me back to sway bar links, all the parts are there on both links, no bushings or washers or nuts are missing, however they seem pretty darn rusty, and the driver side link I can spin with just my own elbow grease. The passenger side link is much harder to spin, but I still can get it to rotate with just my hand.

So my question is: Should the sway bar links be able to rotate in place like that?
Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 AM
LightningRod

Originally Posted by Michael Beckwith
So my question is: Should the sway bar links be able to rotate in place like that?
Yes, they got ball joints at both ends like tie rod ends. They will rotate on the ball - at least a little ways.

I have TWO questions. Hard to capture sounds perfectly on video but your video sounds to me exactly like mine. If you turn full stop and roll "VERY" slow, (just 1 or 2 inches per second), does yours become a 'LOUD POPPING' noise instead of the rubbing / binding / grinding noise on the video ?

Secondly - have you replaced your Front Hubs, and if so are they from NAPA Auto Parts. (I have, with NAPA's best, most expensive version). They said the hub spindle nut was not tightened properly. I had a front end shop use a big husky 3/4 impact and hammer the nut down to at least the 295 lb-ft spec. NO CHANGE.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by F150Torqued
Yes, they got ball joints at both ends like tie rod ends. They will rotate on the ball - at least a little ways.

I have TWO questions. Hard to capture sounds perfectly on video but your video sounds to me exactly like mine. If you turn full stop and roll "VERY" slow, (just 1 or 2 inches per second), does yours become a 'LOUD POPPING' noise instead of the rubbing / binding / grinding noise on the video ?

Secondly - have you replaced your Front Hubs, and if so are they from NAPA Auto Parts. (I have, with NAPA's best, most expensive version). They said the hub spindle nut was not tightened properly. I had a front end shop use a big husky 3/4 impact and hammer the nut down to at least the 295 lb-ft spec. NO CHANGE.
It's hard to place exactly where the noise is worse. It starts with the wheels turned about a quarter to full stop, for either direction. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all if I turn full stop. It ALWAYS happens where it seems to start. And yes, for the noise to occur, or at least be noticeable, I need to be rolling extremely slow, almost lugging the engine in first gear.

I had both front hubs replaced when I got the truck back in August. This is the part the shop used from their invoice (best shop in my area to do anything more than an oil change): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Disc-Brake-...7/202099536413

Never heard the noise until a few weeks ago, not sure if that rules out the spindle nut thing.

Last edited by Michael Beckwith; 12-06-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Just to give folks a better idea of what I'm talking about, I took a pic and a couple videos.

Driver Side Link Spinning (video):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6D4cxazoz3NUFnoH6

Passenger Side Link Spinning (video):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Du73KjWFu8sYbg7f6

Pic of Driver Side Link (pic):
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zLEjXwja5iNJQdsP9
Old 12-07-2018, 01:08 PM
LightningRod

I believe I would replace those. I do not believe the rubber grommets should let you spin the shaft.

Mine are completely different - with a tapered shaft & ball joint and have both been replaced. I do not believe this is the source of the noise.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:12 PM

Ill be replacing both links and the body bushings when I get home for Winter break after this semester. Will report back on this thread once finished.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:12 AM

I’m having similar issues with my 2011 XLT @ 164,000 miles. Have you got anywhere with this yet?

Quick Reply: Odd creaking noise while turning