Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

need help on fuel type

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help on fuel type

Hey everyone, I have a 5.4L v8 and it says to use E-85 and I use 95 super premium.
My question is will that harm the engine or decrease hp and if not what do I need to change ex. Intake, fuel system, programing etc.
There's only 2 types of fuel 91 and 95
Thanks for all the help
Old 06-24-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

E-85 is Ethanol, that is an alternative fuel that you can use, gasoline of your choice is the preferred fuel. What is known as flex fuel, a lot of Fords are flex fuel including my truck.

Fuel economy running ethanol is much lower than gas.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:53 PM
DIY

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi octane gasoline is a formulation that designed to prevent engine pinging aka: knocking. It is an unnecessary expenditure of money and doesn't improve performance despite what some advertisers tell you.
E-85 yields fewer BTUs by volume than Regular gasoline and Premium Grade gasoline also yields fewer BTUs compared to Regular Grade gasoline which is more volatile than either E-85 or Premium (95 octane).
Don't "knock" using Regular (80 - 84 octane) gas, unless your engine starts knocking and your fuel economy decreases. It is more likely you will see an improvement in fuel economy after you make the switch.
The following users liked this post:
RLXXI (06-25-2013)

Quick Reply: need help on fuel type