Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

My trucks first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My trucks first oil change

So, I changed the oil in my truck today, and I must say it did not go quite like I thought it would. Draining oil from the oil pan was no problem. However, the oil filter was quite different. Not that it was difficult, as I have done countless oil changes in my lifetime, just different.

Let me explain. On any other vehicle that I have changed the oil, the oil filter has an opening under it so the an oil catch pan can be placed under it to catch any excess oil that invariably comes leaking out when you pull off the filter. So I find the oil filter on the front of the engine and look under it and notice that there is no opening to catch the excess oil. Its just going to run all over whatever is down there. I think to myself, this can't be right. All I am thinking about is the mess that it will make on all the parts that are under there that are hard to get to for cleaning. As I scoot back out from under the truck, I notice a small plastic run-off spout that comes from under the filter. I realize that this is to catch the excess and run it out to an area where I can put the catch pan. Brilliant! These Ford people are geniuses. I am singing their praises as I pull the catch pan over underneath this little spout and proceed remove the filter. With the filter removed, I am poised to watch the miracle of Ford engineering as the first few drops of oil come off that little spout. I think to myself, Thats a handy little thing that Ford put on there. As I wait, no more drops come. I think, surely there has to be more oil than that coming out of where the oil filter was. I lean down a little further and further back on the truck I see a stream of oil pouring off of a heat shield a little further back from where my catch pan is. Now I have a huge puddle of oil on my garage floor. Don't get me wrong, I can clean up the oil. Its the fact that here is this little spout/trough that is supposed to catch the oil and divert it to the catch pan. Apparently, this little feature needs a little more design work. So my garage floor is cleaned up and the oil is changed, but it was more work than I was expecting. Not whining or complaining just thought I would share and maybe someone else will read this before their first oil change and be able to prepare for this. I know I will be more prepared the next oil change.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 128 Likes on 104 Posts

On my 97 F150, I don't think I have a spec of rust on my front diff because of this

Quick Reply: My trucks first oil change