Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

my 1995 f150 with 5.8 is squeking

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 09:51 PM
FORD=#1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 1995 f150 with 5.8 is squeking

Ever since I replaced my water pump iv'e been hearing a semi-random high pitched squeak coming from one of the pulleys(significantly lowder and faster when i accelerate), i think it is the fan pulley because it looks like the belt is not rotating exact on it. Ive talked to people about this and they all just say replace the serpintine belt but i replaced that last spring. Or could it possibly be that the slight difference from the new water pump is not seeded well with the belt which was used with the old water pump. If it was a bad pulley would it not be constant squeiling? Or is this the early stages of it? Or is it possible it could be something totally different than the pulleys? Or some rust on the pulleys?

My 351W motor runs just fine and the tranny too ive taken the belt off and checked it for damage that might be from a worn pulley but i cant find none.
Although it dont affect the performance of the vehicle, it annoys the hell out of me and is quite embarassing. Any ideas?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be a bad bearing on any of the pulleys, get a mechanics stethescope and touch anything that has a pulley, You will find out quickly which one is bad.
Old 12-05-2010, 02:51 PM
FORD=#1

Default my 1995 f150 with 5.8 is squeking

OK thanks I will try that when I get the chance.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 AM

You should have a belt tensioner on your truck and it may be wore out. When you installed the belt back on the truck you supposed to preload the belt tensioner and that may be all your problem. I hat a 302 that I had to do this to and it cured the problem of a squeeky belt.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:08 PM

how do you preload a belt tensioner?
Old 02-07-2014, 07:21 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Belt tensioners are spring loaded. Pretensioning just means pulling the pulley back with a wrench so the belt can be installed. Check the idler pulley for free movement when you change the belt. PS don't use belt grip spray to fix this problem. Even new belts have been known to make noise. Just return it as defective and get a new one.
The following users liked this post:
hoytray (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 03:13 PM

Cool. I have a tool set called Serpintine belt set. I am glad I bought it cause I have used it several time and it is worth every dime. So what I have ended up doing was purchased a idler arm pully; just incase. I took the old one off and compared the two; I think the old one is still good so put it back on. I then cleaned all the grooves on every pully with my pocket knife and a wire brush, lots of old belt and other crap needed scraped out; took about 45 minutes and that is what I think it was. I sure hope it isnt the p/s pump. could be! but I am gonna go for a drive here in a lil bit. It is snowing heavy right now so I am praying my steering dont fail. on the test yesterday it seemed to be fixed. By the way my truck is 95 4.9L 4X4 with no a/c

Last edited by hoytray; 02-09-2014 at 03:16 PM. Reason: did not state what kind of truck I worked on

Quick Reply: my 1995 f150 with 5.8 is squeking