Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Maintenance Advice for F150 2004

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Advice for F150 2004

Hello, new to this Site and looking for some helpful advice to help me maintain my F150.

This was a gift from my grandparents, specifically my Grandfather, who has been pretty good with general maintanence as far as oil changes and sparkplugs go. Since having it, I have done the same and have done some other upkeep work on it.

Below are the Specs of my vehicle and some repairs Ive done already within the passed year:
Ford F150 Fx4
V8 Engine 5.4L
200,000 Miles reached earlier this year
recent repairs:
Replaced both Solenoids, Belt, All Spark Plugs, Replaced Gear Shift, New Battery, Transmission flush, new power Steering Fluid, and have a small oil leak repair and wheel alignment scheduled this coming week.

I know there is probably more I need to do, so I wanted to ask if anybody has come across any repairs they needed to do on a similar model/year of F150. I really want to keep this truck going. Some issues I am starting to notice is that sometimes my ignition hesitates for a moment. Happened recently before my next oil change was due, but am unsure if that can effect the starter. It started up much smoother after the change though. Another is that my truck creaks alot when jumping on and off or even turning at times, figuring its the bushing or suspension, but want to rule out anything major.

Hope I can get some good advice from those with experience. I really hope to make this truck last as long as possible. I know some things will need to get replaced as they all eventually wear out, so the more suggestions the better I can plan. My goal is to replace anything major engine wise first before I take up any re-upholstering and cosmetic interior work.

Thanks!

Last edited by Casio47; 05-31-2020 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:36 AM

Received 508 Likes on 441 Posts

Your owners manual is your best source for scheduled maintenance intervals. I would first concentrate on safety areas first and make sure brakes, tires, steering and suspension are in good working order.The creaking could be steering and suspension related. Examine to see if any of the following are in need of attention such as belts, hoses, ignition, fuel filter and fluid changes. It is unclear what you mean by ignition hestitation but I would go over and clean all connections from the battery, ground connections and positve connections from battery all the way to starter and everything in between.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I believe that there is a one way check valve in the fuel line that keeps pressure when the truck is not running and when it fails it leaks the fuel in the line back into the tank causing a hesitation when starting for a second until pressure is normal. Try turning the key to the on position and waiting for a couple of seconds then cranking it over. My 05 started doing it periodically then all the time.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Advice for F150 2004