Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

MAF and O2 sensor problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF and O2 sensor problems

Howdy Folks,

i'm having some trouble with my truck and i'm hoping maybe y'all can help me out.

I have a 1999 F150 with a 5.4 engine. a few weeks back the "service engine soon" light came on. I took it to autozone and had the code read and the guy said it was a bad MAF sensor. I ordered a new sensor off of amazon and installed it. while it ran fine before it did sound a little better after installing the new part.

a couple of days and maybe 50 miles later the "service engine soon" light came back on. the truck still sounded fine though it did seem to be going through gas a little faster. I had the code read again. this time it said it was the O2 sensor and the guy said something about one being rich and one being lean.

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about newer engines so I searched google and read somewhere (can't find it again) that the MAF sensor could cause issues with the O2 sensors. since I just replaced the part I thought maybe it was faulty and causing the other issues so tonight I got some MAF cleaner and sprayed the old MAF sensor down and reinstalled it.

as soon as I started the truck up it began running ragged. after five minutes or so it wasn't getting better so I once again installed the new MAF sensor hoping it would run better, it did not.

so now I don't know what to do except take it to a mechanic which i'd rather not do if it's possibly something I can do myself. any ideas on why it might be running ragged now with the new part? and would the new MAF cause problems with the O2 sensor? would it be something i'd need to replace as well?

thanks in advance!
Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

When they read the codes for you have them give you the actual codes and write them down, post those on here, don't just let them tell you what they mean.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCR 56:
Cody T (07-12-2019), F150Torqued (06-20-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by JCR 56
When they read the codes for you have them give you the actual codes and write them down, post those on here, don't just let them tell you what they mean.
^this. write down the codes and research them yourself. I can bet that autocodes.com can tell you more about the codes than the auto parts guy can
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (06-20-2019)

Quick Reply: MAF and O2 sensor problems