Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Lsd

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lsd

Hi all, im new to this forum. I have a 2011 EB. Im wundering if there is a way to inspect the clutch packs in my rear diff? Last weekend i had a lazy dummy moment. I was out camping pulling my trailer on some logging roads. When i got a flat on the rear left. It was pissin rain and i was changing to my spare in the mud. I have 35s but my spare is still a 31. So being lazy i put the smaller spare on the rear and drove about 40 kms out of the bush untill i hit pavement where i swapped to front. Needless to say the teuck didnt like it. Abs and advance trac was going crazy. Ever since i smell gear oil anytime im in traffic. I expect my diff got hot and puked oil out the breather maybe onto the exhaust but i would have thought it would have burnd off by now and smell would be gone. I plan to change my diff fluid this weekend and im wondering if can easily check the clutch packs? Or if anyone has any ideas what else to check. Also will a 35 spare fitt up under rear bumper? Thanks
Old 10-12-2017, 12:20 PM
FORD lifer

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts

If the ABS light was flashing, it could have been trying to apply the brake to that wheel to send the power over to the other side.

Might it have been hot brake pad you smell?

To test your trac loc, you can turn off your traction control, go into a big, empty parking lot, punch it, and make sure you have two tracks digging.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its deffinately gear oil smell and its still strong almost a week later