Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Low idle in drive, but not in park or when actually driving

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low idle in drive, but not in park or when actually driving

So, here is the back story. I have a 2004 f150 fx4 5.4 liter 3v SOHC with 186,000 miles. My truck has had a knocking Since I got it in 2010. I was told it was the timing chain and that it wasn't too big of a deal, so I let it go until a few weeks ago when the knocking got really loud. So, I took the engine apart, saw that there was a bad rocker that wore a groove in the camshaft.

So, I replaced the shaft, cam phasers, timing chains (timed it according to diagrams i found online), guides and tensioners, and both VCt solenoids. All these things seemed to be problems associated with knocking in the engine. Well, the knocking has definitely stopped and it sounds good, but when the engine is idling in drive it drops to under 300rpms and in park, up closer to 1000, but still shakes a little. If I rev the engine to about 1000 it steadies. Much more. I've spent so much time and money on this truck, I don't know what else it could be.

I did unplug the computer. Could it have something to do with that? Help!

Quick Reply: Low idle in drive, but not in park or when actually driving