Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud squeaking noise

Old 03-24-2019, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud squeaking noise

I have a loud squeaking noise coming from my drivers side front wheel itís not my break pads because I just changed them today. I need some help diagnosing the problem could it be the IWE actuator for the 4x4 or something else?

The truck is a 2012 f150 stx with 4x4 and has a 5.0.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:47 PM
Be Real - Not a Fanboy!

Received 971 Likes on 588 Posts

if you put it into 4x4 does the noise go away? if so iwe
Old 03-24-2019, 09:36 PM

Received 572 Likes on 470 Posts

Being that you described it as a squeak, I'm inclined to think it's the wheel bearing.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:54 PM

I put the truck in 4x4 and it got instantly quieter/stoped so Iím thinking itís the iwe 4x4 actuator
Old 03-25-2019, 09:07 PM

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Squeaking is the first time I've heard the IWE noise described. Like a can being dragged down the road or a rattle can are the usual descriptions.

Could be the IWE itself but, check the check valve first. If you can blow through it in both directions. If yes, it's bad. It has also been known to work intermittently. Visually check all the vacuum lines and connections. If you have the ability or can find someone that can, do a vacuum test. Other possibilities is the front diff.

I'd to suspect that it may be a wheel bearing though.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:14 PM

Well I have a new iwe actuator coming and I will be swapping out the driver side.
the sound is like a metal grinding noise. It stops soon as the 4x4 is engaged and Iím almost 99% itís the actuator Iíve had to swap them out once already about 2-3yrs ago because the where losing vac because the seal thatís on them broke.

my guess is Iím having all this trouble with the. IWE stuff is because I had a 2.5Ē leveling kit on the front and itís at a wired angle thatís making them go out sooner.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud squeaking noise

Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: