Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Loss of all power when using passing gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2022, 10:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Loss of all power when using passing gear

I have a 2001 f150 4.6. This issue started yesterday when I went to pass a car on the highway and It felt like the power just backed off and I slowed down instead of speeding up. Today, my truck was driving fine until I got onto the highway and tried speeding up. When I presses the gas hard enough for it to downshift it lost all power and it slowed me down to a crawl. Had to limp it back home at about 5mph. Had issues with it starting and staying on after that. After about an hour of letting it cool down, I was able to start it back up without stalling. Drove into town without allowing it to down shift and had no problems getting to 65 on the highway. Had a code test ran while I was there and I am seeing lean on bank 2. And a few other codes that came from me unplugging the maf to see if that was the issue. On the way back home about a mile from the house I wanted to test the theory of the downshift causing the issue and sure enough as soon as I pressed the gas and it down shifted it lost all power again. Any ideas on what could be causing this? When it does this pressing the gas pedal does little to nothing at all until it cools down.
Old 09-19-2022, 11:37 AM

Received 945 Likes on 748 Posts

There's no such thing as "passing gear". Your transmission has four forward (1-4) gears, a reverse gear, plus torque converter lockup function.

You may have a failing fuel pump or a massive vacuum leak or an electrical/electronic control issue. You'll need to do some focused observations and diagnostics to pin it down.

Old 09-19-2022, 04:27 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Slavaka
Had a code test ran while I was there and I am seeing lean on bank 2. And a few other codes that came from me unplugging the maf to see if that was the issue.
You should post the actual codes. Not somebody's interpretation of what they might mean.

What happened when you unplugged the MAFS? Was anything different?
Old 09-19-2022, 11:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Problem solved

Found the problem today. It ended up being my air filter. Once I took off the intake cover I was able to see the inlet squeezing together. Turns out my new air filter, which I assumed would be the last problem, had broken and it had sucked the plastic piece on the end of the filter inside and it was blocking air flow. Took it back to the quick lube that changed it out a few weeks ago and they replaced it. No problems since. Thank you for suggestions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Slavaka:
Jimboy (09-20-2022), MarcoMontana (09-28-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slavaka
Found the problem today. It ended up being my air filter. Once I took off the intake cover I was able to see the inlet squeezing together. Turns out my new air filter, which I assumed would be the last problem, had broken and it had sucked the plastic piece on the end of the filter inside and it was blocking air flow. Took it back to the quick lube that changed it out a few weeks ago and they replaced it. No problems since. Thank you for suggestions.

Nice job, and thanks for posting you fixed it!

Quick Reply: Loss of all power when using passing gear