Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Looking for opinions on tranny replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for opinions on tranny replacement

2005 FX4 5.4. 147,xxx miles. Tranny needs replaced and Ford quoted me at $2,500 for a new tranny and $1,750 for the labor. I’m just looking for opinions on whether it’s worth replacing. It’s a great truck otherwise. No other major issues, just normal wear and tear. Tough decision since the truck isn’t worth much more than this cost
Old 08-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

what is it doing and does the fluid smell burnt and dark colored. is it low on fluid?
Old 08-04-2018, 04:33 PM

I have a 2001 supercrew, with 250000 miles on it. I have problems with a clunk or skip from a stop. Other than that it's fine. SO...with regular maintenance you should be able to drive it a lot more miles until your motor goes. In my case , I'm looking into replacing mine within the next 40000 miles. But I haven't decided if I'll have Ford do it or a regular trans shop.
Good luck !
Jon
Old 08-05-2018, 11:18 AM

It was a little low on fluid, but I never saw any leaking fluid in my garage or where I park at work. not burnt, not brown. There was a lot of metal on the magnet, though. All Ford said was that there was an ‘internal failure.’ They couldn’t/wouldn’t tell me anything else other than “I’m gonna be straight with you, it needs a new transmission. It’s not worth rebuilding.’ Took it to a transmission shop to get it rebuilt and am still waiting on them to tell me what exactly failed.

Anyways, it began slipping accelerating from a stop. Then it started to shudder going from 1st to 2nd before it slammed into gear. Then finally, the trans fault light came on and O/D light started blinking. Returned it back to stock and took the programmer out and it got a little better but obviously not enough to continue driving

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on tranny replacement