Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Jerky motion while cruising along

Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jerky motion while cruising along

I bought a 1996 Ford F-150, L6 4.9 five speed manual transmission. Was getting about 13 MPG. Read to get better MPG was to do a high end tune up. I added a Accel Coil,Cap,Rotor and Wires. E3 Plugs. Was running better, My brother drove it for a week cause his car was down. The day I picked it up he was looking into my gas gauge not working. He unplugged the fuel pump harness. Checking to see if the gauge moves. It moved all the way up and over. He plugged it back in.

I went home and on the way home I noticed it was jerking like I was letting off and pressing the gas petal but I kept my foot in the same spot. If I'm speeding up it doesn't act that way or let go. It just does the jerky motion trying to stay at a steady speed.

I'm wondering if my brother disconnecting the pump a minute didn't mess something up. Maybe I need to make the computer reset or something else. I have an O2 Sensor to install still but I don't think that is the problem though cause it didn't do that before.

Thanks in advanced for any help
Michael
Old 04-24-2013, 04:01 PM

Well hell, I guess no one has a clue what it could be. I guess I'll have to try somewhere else.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I doubt it's your o2. I would do a reset and unhook your battery for awhile (on my 2010 they say 45 min). The only thing I can see it being is fuel filter clogged, or bad or stuck ball on pcv valve. Him unhooking the fuel pump could be coincidence but I would think the ecm would still tell it to work as normal even if it was unhooked. You could check your pcv valve, if the ball is stuck you can clean it with soaking it in gas for awhile just make sure to blow it out really well before reinstalling it. Let me know if any of this works
Old 05-05-2013, 04:14 PM

Sorry I forgot to come back to state that this issue had stopped. I did how ever change both O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold. The jerking stopped before I changed them though. Now I got to fix the rough idle. I was told that the problem with that is the idle air control valve.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jerky motion while cruising along