Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Idle problems? Check the pcv hose.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Idle problems? Check the pcv hose.

I recently had a fluctuating idle on my 03 s-crew, 4.6L. I took off the EGR and IAC valves and inspected and cleaned them as best I could. I ended up buying a new IAC valve ($150 at Ford!!!) and after I put it on, I had the same idle problem. Out of dumb luck, I reached behind the turn down elbow behind the throttle body and found a hole as big as my finger in the 90 degree elbow of the rubber pcv line where it attaches behind the throttle body. Over the years, heat and vacuum deteriorated this thing to the point that it fell apart (see picture). When I plugged the hole with my finger, the truck returned to normal idle. Figures. Oh well, a least I have a new IAC valve. Getting the rotted hose off the connection behind the throttle body defines the phrase son-of-a-b@#*h. Prepare to have your hands look like you just finished a UFC title fight when your done. Anyway, this is a hard plastic line joined to the valve cover and the throttle body by rubber elbows. To find a replacement, the elbow has to be stiff as this line pulls a lot of vacuum. I will probably replace the whole set up with a long piece of thick walled rubber hose as I can't find the correct elbow. Checker didn't even have it listed in their parts book. Anyway, I hope this saves someone $150.
Attached Thumbnails Idle problems? Check the pcv hose.-pcv-elbow.jpg   Idle problems? Check the pcv hose.-pcv-connection.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Lacrosse guy (08-21-2012)
Old 09-21-2009, 02:57 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Good write up and excellent pics.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude.. you saved me lots of money.. I had the same identical symptoms you listed.. replaced the IAC with no luck.. crack in the PCV elbow was the problem. I found a similar elbow in the HELP! section at my local parts store .. part number was 47028. Worked like a charm.

thanks for the post.

Quick Reply: Idle problems? Check the pcv hose.