Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

i need some ball joint help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 02:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need some ball joint help

hey folks gotta 85 f150 2x4 and i need to replace the lower ball joints and i know i have to take the uppers out to do that so heres my problem

on my drivers side upper the cotter pin holding the spindle nut broke off on both sides and i cant get it out ive tried penetrating fluid and hitting it with a hammer and smal nail does anyone have any tips i can use to get it out

and on my passenger side the upper Bjoint the cotter pin came out fine BUT everything iv used to try and get it off hasnt worked

ive used penetrating fluid a pipe wrench vise grips an adjustable wrench and the socket wrench and so far nothings gripping it

thanks for any help in advance John
Old 03-27-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go thru all the work and diassemble the knuckles you might as well go ahead and replace all the balljoints upper and lower... so having that said dont worry about the old rusted cotter pin..go ahead and broke it off as close to the ball joint treads as possible and just take the nut off with remaining part of pin in there.. new parts and replace with new cotter pins..
Old 03-28-2011, 01:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im actually considering geting new upers and just cuting the bolts off so i can get the press in there thats been my problem i cant get the press in there to pop them out

Quick Reply: i need some ball joint help