Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

High Pitched whine

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry High Pitched whine

Well, I finally got my truck! A race red 2012 F150 STX. I've had it for about 2 weeks. Love this truck. 1 problem though, there is a high pitched whine when driving. Noticed it on the way home from the dealer, finally took it in to have it looked at after a week and a half and it hasn't gone away. It sounds like the truck has a turbo on it or something (no, its not the ecoboost engine, its the 5.0). You can hear the whine "spool up" as you accelerate, and it is audible at all speeds, however its not there when you rev up the truck in park.

The dealer thought it was the bearings in the locking rear diff, so they have completely replaced everything in the rear diff with new parts, and yet the sound is still there. (I spoke with the trans tech at the dealer and he said that everything looked fine, but because he could not isolate the problem he replaced everything.) I took it home because I need the truck for the holiday weekend as it doesn't seem to affect performance at all. And the dealer said it was no problem driving or towing with it. Its really not that annoying, kind of sounds like the turbos on a diesel (sort of cool). None the less it is a new truck with 1400 miles on it and I'm quite sure that the sound should not be there. I test drove a couple of XLT's just to make sure, but they definitely do not make this sound while driving.

The dealer is stumped. They are calling ford engineering to see what else they can try to isolate the problem, so I'll be taking it back next week to have them do more testing to try and fix the problem.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this on a new truck?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:40 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
Default hey

Originally Posted by natekdog
Well, I finally got my truck! A race red 2012 F150 STX. I've had it for about 2 weeks. Love this truck. 1 problem though, there is a high pitched whine when driving. Noticed it on the way home from the dealer, finally took it in to have it looked at after a week and a half and it hasn't gone away. It sounds like the truck has a turbo on it or something (no, its not the ecoboost engine, its the 5.0). You can hear the whine "spool up" as you accelerate, and it is audible at all speeds, however its not there when you rev up the truck in park.

The dealer thought it was the bearings in the locking rear diff, so they have completely replaced everything in the rear diff with new parts, and yet the sound is still there. (I spoke with the trans tech at the dealer and he said that everything looked fine, but because he could not isolate the problem he replaced everything.) I took it home because I need the truck for the holiday weekend as it doesn't seem to affect performance at all. And the dealer said it was no problem driving or towing with it. Its really not that annoying, kind of sounds like the turbos on a diesel (sort of cool). None the less it is a new truck with 1400 miles on it and I'm quite sure that the sound should not be there. I test drove a couple of XLT's just to make sure, but they definitely do not make this sound while driving.

The dealer is stumped. They are calling ford engineering to see what else they can try to isolate the problem, so I'll be taking it back next week to have them do more testing to try and fix the problem.

Anyone ever heard of anything like this on a new truck?

congrats on your new rig man, i myself bought a 2010 screw 4x4 on nov26, 2010.

anyways, i haven't heard of the issue that you claim. i think you should check to see when the truck came off the line, remember, we're almost half way done 2012, and the 2013's should be arriving in a couple of months or so. so remember, your truck could be almost a year old. which means, depending on your kms when you bought the truck... well, lets just say, your truck could have been sitting for a while, and no oil on bearing etc...

if it was me, i'd slam it in first gear, get it up to 30mph for 5-10 mins. then if it pops, it's warranty.
Old 04-23-2019, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were you ever successful getting the whine eliminated? I have same high pitched noise on my 2012 f150 at high speeds. One post suggested that if not a pulley replace water pump which he did and it was gone. Thanks

Quick Reply: High Pitched whine