Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Help with tick!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with tick!

I have 2006 f150 5.4 3v replaced all timming, vct' sand checked all lash adjuster while I was in there. Everything looked fine and felt fine. Still a tick. I can not find it. Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-02-2014, 06:50 PM

I don't think it's the exhaust. And I did use a stethoscope on all the valve cover bolt to listen to the lash adjuster and they all sound the same. Checked the oil pressure and it's good .
Old 04-03-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How loud is it? It could be the injectors.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by jtrees
How loud is it? It could be the injectors.
It's loud! Sounds like a lifter/ lash adjuster. I took it in to ford and they said the they couldn't say where it was coming from. And they would have to tear it apart and it could be the same price for a new motor! Runs great but ticks all the time. Warm or cold

Last edited by Whitesnakebmx; 04-03-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 PM

Default Update!

It was a lash adjuster/ follower The very back one on the drivers side. Replaced all on both sides and it's like a new truck. I didn't turn the crank as I was checking them and the lobe was down on it. I looked at my old pics from when I did my timing. Good luck with your trucks. I think I can help if any one needs some pm me.

Last edited by Whitesnakebmx; 04-21-2014 at 11:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you found the issue! Could you visably see the one that had the issue? What did you do to replace them? I am planning on doing the same thing myself as I am having that tick issue. I believe mine has the same problem.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by jtrees
Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you found the issue! Could you visably see the one that had the issue? What did you do to replace them? I am planning on doing the same thing myself as I am having that tick issue. I believe mine has the same problem.
Well I could not see mine because it was the very far back one against the firewall but I suppose if it was a front one you could. But you have to remove the cam in order to get the last adjusters out. Be sure to check your oil pressure before starting it could be oil pump not getting oil to the top your engine. I payed $275 for all followers and lash adjusters. And I just slowly loosened my cam caps and pulled my cams straight up I did not remove any followers prior to removing the cam. You're going to need cam phaser bolts and timing chain locking wedge tool. I'm a machinist so I made one. And I also had to clean up my cam because it was getting beat on by the cam lobe. If it as been doing it for a while you may need a new cam. Good luck I'll help with what I can.

Quick Reply: Help with tick!