Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

[Help] 2005 STX 5-Speed Stuck in gear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Help] 2005 STX 5-Speed Stuck in gear?

I just purchased a 2005 STX with 116k as my first truck and first manual transmission vehicle about a week ago. I've had little trouble learning manual so everything has been fairly smooth up until today.

I was getting on the highway on my way home. First through third went fine, but when I went to shift to fourth something was grinding. I went back into third then tried again successfully. I got off the highway onto some smaller roads where everything went okay. It grinded on third once at some point but went right into gear after a second try. I'm just thinking I'm doing something wrong here but I'm not sure.

Now I'm home and go to park. I stopped the truck and put it in reverse. As I let off the clutch it felt like it wanted to catch but the truck wouldn't move before it would stall. Assuming my reverse was ****ed and Realizing I looked like a jackass parked diagonally across the parking lot, I put it in first and tried pull out and and park normally. Same issue; the clutch would begin to engage and the truck would begin to stall but would not move regardless of how little or much gas I gave it.

After spending some time playing with the shifter it seemed I could shift into all gears smoothly, although first took a little more strength to shift out of. I put it in neutral and went to shut the truck off, but it stalled when I let the clutch out. At that point I kind of guessed that my gears were all mixed up, but had to get out of the middle of the parking lot. I left it in 'neutral' and after a few very rough attempts to get moving, got the truck moved into a parking space.

After parking I played with the shifter again, and now everything shifts in and out smoothly - but now I cannot shift into third, neutral is still a mystery gear, and fourth now acts like neutral. I had the door open and it sounds like everything is shifting fine minus 3rd and 4th, although I'm not sure what the truck will actually try to do if I try to drive it.

Any ideas as to what may be happening? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like you might have broken or seriously bent one of the shift forks in there.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Mach1
Sounds like you might have broken or seriously bent one of the shift forks in there.
After researching a bit about that, I agreed that was likely the problem. I've probably been too hard on the shifter since I didn't know better.
But, on the way to a mechanic it seemed to jarr itself back into place as I was pulling through an intersection. Every gear shifted fine afterwards. I left it at the shop anyways, but they won't be able to look at it until Monday.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: [Help] 2005 STX 5-Speed Stuck in gear?