Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Heater on, truck shuts down

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater on, truck shuts down

When I turn the heater AC control to blow out the selected vents, truck dies. 1992 with 5.0 AC, XLT lariat 2 wd

Last edited by thechrisbaum; 12-01-2018 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Forgot year
Old 12-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Only when you select heat? Or also A/C & vent? Any temperature, or only on the hottest setting? When did this symptom appear, and did it appear suddenly or progressively? Does it happen every time at any speed, or only sometimes, and only at idle? Does the engine sputter & die slowly, or does it stop like the key was turned off?

The more-specific & -detailed you are, the more-likely we can help. Putting ALL the truck's details & history into your signature also helps us help you, so read this caption:

(phone app link)

What do the battery terminals look like?

(phone app link)

What does the blower fuse look like?

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 12-01-2018 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply to messages

I just acquired this truck 2 days ago. When I twist the **** to dierec the air flow out of any of the vents, AC, max AC, floor, panel, defrost, the truck stalls. If I switch it to off, the truck will either refire, or restarts easily. It was originally a straight 6, but a 5.0 was put in long before I got it. I have no check engine light on, idle is fine,. Do those steel juice cans rust out, or is there a issue in the vacuum lines? I find it hard to believe that I am the only one who has had this issue.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:18 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

So your original thread title "Heater on, truck shuts down" isn't accurate? It's actually "HVAC on, truck shuts down" ? Any setting, any temperature?

The CEL should come on for a few seconds every time the key is turned to RUN. Yes, the coffee can vacuum reservoir commonly leaks, but that doesn't cause the engine to stall, and it's not related to the HVAC setting. Yes, the vacuum lines commonly age/degrade/crack/leak, but they also DON'T cause the engine to stall. The ones related to HVAC rarely degrade or leak, other than the white one near the R hood hinge.

Since your truck is significantly modified, it's more-important than usual for you to put ALL its details into your signature as this caption describes:

(phone app link)

Yes, it will take some time & effort to collect & organize them all, but without them, we'll just be guessing.

Quick Reply: Heater on, truck shuts down