Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Having starting issue.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having starting issue.

I have a 94 F150 5.0 e4od trans. I was driving it down the road went to kick it down at 55 and the check engine light illuminated no abs and it almost seemed like the transmission went into limp mode like it does when the vss acts up. It slammed in to upshifting gears at like 4000 rpm would shift up in to all but the overdrive gears, and would also slam during transition between forward and reverse gears. I returned to the house shut the truck down and disconnected the battery in attempt to clear any codes that may have been set to trigger a limp mode. I reconnected the battery now it wont start at all, I have fuel to the rail, fuel pumps run, spark to the distributor and the spark jumps when the rotor turns. Im in a state of confusion as to whats going on. I have been studying schematics in an attempt to figure out why i dont have fuel to injector pulse. I have not yet tested for pulse but its just a weird scenario across the board, but any guidance would be awesome.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 PM

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

We have a boat along with too many trucks and one thing we learned a few years ago with the boat might apply. Be absolutely sure those old battery cables are making good contact on the battery. Sometimes it takes clamping old clamps very hard. Apparent tight sometimes is not good enough.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:46 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiacgta91
I have a 94 F150 5.0 e4od trans.
That, and all the truck's OTHER details need to be in your signature, as this caption explains:

(phone app link)
...it almost seemed like the transmission went into limp mode...
There is no such thing on Fords.
...disconnected the battery in attempt to clear any codes...
You're supposed to READ the codes before clearing them, and that's the WRONG way to clear codes.

(phone app link)
...codes that may have been set to trigger a limp mode.
Codes don't trigger anything. Faults trigger the EEC to store codes, and sometimes to turn the CEL on. Codes only indicate where to begin diagnosis.
...now it wont start at all...
Define "won't start". Does the key not turn? Does the engine sputter for a moment, but then stall? Or something in-between? Be specific & detailed.
...I have fuel to the rail...
How do you know? At what pressure?
...spark to the distributor and the spark jumps...
How exactly did you check, and from where to where does the spark jump?
...i dont have fuel to injector pulse. I have not yet tested for pulse...
Then what makes you think it's not happening?
...any guidance would be awesome.
Stop guessing & messing with things. Give us time to post some suggestions before you create any new problems. In the mean time: put everything you know about the truck into your signature; buy a Haynes manual, and read it cover-to-cover at least once so you know what's in it & where to find things.

(phone app link)

Last edited by Steve83; 12-14-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I figured it out

The issue with the truck was the tps sensor signal was lost due to weak resistance. Which in turn put the eec into clear flood mode where the eec module was reset from the disconnect of the the terminals. And i had a noid light that determined no pulse.

Quick Reply: Having starting issue.