Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Hard Start and Stalling problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hard Start and Stalling problem

Hey guys,
I'm having a bit of an issue with my '99 scab 5.4l 4X4 as far as starting goes and I'm wondering if any of ya'll could help me out. When I go to start my truck it will turn over just fine, rev up to about 500-600 RPMs then stall out. It wont even rest at any idle speeds it just goes up then down. I can usually counteract it by starting it the immediately poking at the throttle and having the engine hover at about 2500 RPMs for 30 seconds or so and it'll sort itself out and then run fine til the next morning when I have to start it again. I recently had that all too lovely experience of having a spark plug rocket itself out of my head and jack up the threads so I had a heli-coil put in as well as had all the plugs changed while my mechanic was in there. I've been rummaging through the forums and have found a couple things that I suspect could be the problem but unfortunately I'm not too sure. From what my research has shown it could possibly be the IAC being gunked up or even busted or perhaps even a fuel sending issue be it filter related (more likely) or pump related (less likely). I was also thinking that it could perhaps be something in relation to the throttle cable but that was just my brain storming.
Any input would be welcome and appreciated.

Quick Reply: Hard Start and Stalling problem