Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Grinding and Creaking?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding and Creaking?

So I have a 2005 F-150 and my front left wheel is making a loud grinding and creaking noise whenever I turn, I've tried Googling and it keeps giving me references to the wheel bearing, I just want to make sure that THAT is the problem before I go out and buy parts.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Tough to tell w/o hearing it, but it's possible you have an issue with the brakes. The rotor can be rubbing on a worn pad more aggressively when turned or be rubbing on the heat shield. I've also seen a caliper bolt come loose and rub the inside of the wheel. I assume you have a 2W drive truck so all the parts are usually over the counter. If you did brakes, rotor and bearings it should be less tha $200. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Is your truck 2WD? If so, I'd say you need new front wheel bearings which they're integrated in the rotors and not serviced separately. I've had that problem too a few times with new rotors straight out of the box.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 PM

The front rotors are in fact integrated with the hubs. Most new rotors come with bearing races installed but not the bearings and rear seal. They are more costly,also due to the ABS activator ring on the backside. Anyway you look at it you'll have to do a brake job even if it's the bearings. I looked online and from what I found west coast prices, each rotor is about $125 bare each + pads ($20 set) + seals ($15 each) and bearings ($58 each) All in all about $425 in parts +tax.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I had my front rotors replaced 8 months ago, and yes it's 2WD, and the front brakes are still good too
Old 10-04-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by rwgoody
Well I had my front rotors replaced 8 months ago, and yes it's 2WD, and the front brakes are still good too
With that additional information, it would seem unlikely that the bearings are bad. I might suggest jacking up the front end and spinning the tire by hand to see if you can replicate the sound. Rotor heat shields are often the source of these kinds of noises when small rocks or debris get wedged between the rotor and the shield. The other possibility is the ABS pick up coil sensor is loose and dragging on the hub. Look for shiny wear marks on the hub,rotor or the wheel.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I've experienced these types of rotors creating creaking sounds when turning, that's why I deemed it front rotors.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Some guy

Received 2,032 Likes on 1,292 Posts

I had a similar issue and thought it was the front left wheel. I put the truck on level ground in neutral, engine off, laid down under the truck center with my head towards the rear facing up. I reached up and grabbed the frame rails and moved the truck back and forth over me, listening - and I heard the grind (though quieter) from the REAR left wheel.

I took off my rear wheels and rotors. The parking brake shoes were absolutely shot!! Turns out the actuator lever that is pulled by the parking brake cable was rusted so badly, you would have thought it was supposed to be one piece and not two. The shoes were in constant contact with the rotors on both sides (though I only heard the left side). The rear right rotor was stuck so badly from brake shoe contact, I needed a rubber mallet to get it off.

Long story short, take off your rear tires and rotors, completely remove your parking brakes, put rotors and tires back on, go for a test drive and see what you get.

Quick Reply: Grinding and Creaking?