Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

gas milelage help

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas milelage help

im new on here, and i have a 86 f150 inline 6 4.9l carbeurated and im only getting 7 mpg. i am told i should be getting at least 14. my friends dad has one and hes getting 19. i have rebuilt the carb and put a new air filter on it, does anyone know y i might be getting crappy gas milelage and what i can do to fix it?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stauby
im new on here, and i have a 86 f150 inline 6 4.9l carbeurated and im only getting 7 mpg. i am told i should be getting at least 14. my friends dad has one and hes getting 19. i have rebuilt the carb and put a new air filter on it, does anyone know y i might be getting crappy gas milelage and what i can do to fix it?

I can't really help, but i had the same truck years ago and loved it. Mine was a 4 speed with Granny gear, so like a 3sp. i got 14mpg all of the time. My catalytic converter was removed and it ran much better, not sure if the ruined the MPG, but it wouldn't pass emissions here. I'm assuming you have new plugs and wires also ?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i put new plugs in a couple months ago but never put wires or distributor cap. mine is also the 4 speed with granny gear,

Quick Reply: gas milelage help