Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Fuel injector question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel injector question.

I recently rebuilt the engine. 1989 f250 351w.
I replaced the old injectors with new injectors if the same flow rate at 19lb/hr.
The old ones had single heads (standard injectors) and the new ones have 3 heads.
It runs beyond rich. Driving around for about 30 minutes consumed almost a quarter of a tank.
it's also expelling a white with a tinted blue smoke while under load.
I've never had this problem before and I'm wondering if it is the injectors I bought.
Either way I thought 19lb/hr was 19lb/hr but a google search tells me nothing about how different heads affect the consumption rate
Old 07-13-2022, 11:53 AM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Post the part numbers of old and new. Pictures too if you can. Brand.

There are several possible causes. Things to check before going too far.

Did it run right before you replaced the injectors?
Old 07-13-2022, 07:12 PM

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Put the original injectors back in - OE injectors NEVER wear out, and rarely "go bad". The only bad ones I've ever seen were crushed or burned. The ones in my black Bronco's 4.9L have over a million miles and still work like-new.

But the symptoms you described (single-digit MPG, white/blue smoke) do not suggest injector problems. The first thing I'd check is the red FPR vacuum line for the presence of fuel at idle.

(click this text)
Old 07-13-2022, 07:55 PM

I have found the issue to be none of the above. The original question of is 19 still 19 still stands. But the smoke issue was caused by the valve covers literally dumping oil all over the back of the engine and on the headers. As well as the pipes and all the way back to the differential. 200 miles 3 tanks of gas and 4 quarts of oil later she sits where she will be fixed.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:56 PM

Also dad threw out one of 8 injectors so I only have 7 of the one. That was my first plan
Old 07-13-2022, 08:08 PM

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by Headaches
...on the headers.
It has headers? Not stock exhaust manifolds? You should put ALL the truck's details & history into your signature as this page explains:

(click this text)

Phone apps don't always show signatures, so you may need to switch to a real browser in desktop mode on your phone, or just use a desktop/laptop computer.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:24 PM

Received 1,264 Likes on 1,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Headaches
It runs beyond rich. Driving around for about 30 minutes consumed almost a quarter of a tank.
it's also expelling a white with a tinted blue smoke while under load.
I've never had this problem before and I'm wondering if it is the injectors I bought.
Either way I thought 19lb/hr was 19lb/hr but a google search tells me nothing about how different heads affect the consumption rate
The heads don't affect the rate. It's just pressure. Most spec charts call out the pressure at which the rate is spec'ed. it's typically 3 bar (43.5 psi). If you had the numbers you'd probably find comparable specs for whatever mystery injectors you bought.

https://motorwestperformance.com/fue...tes-and-specs/

Oil leaking on the back of the engine shouldn't really cause more smoke under load. You should rewrite your description if you want some ideas. Things have changed, apparently. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Fuel injector question.