Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Fuel Filter Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Fuel Filter Swap

Can anyone tell me what all is involved in changing out the fuel filter? Book says to unplug sender and then run engine till it dies to de pressurize the line. How important is this? Also what size clips should I buy incase they break during removal?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM

That is a year make model question. Depends on what ya got. The process could change big time.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:27 PM

I have a 2004 new body SCAB F150.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Depressurizing the fuel system only becomes important when you are laying under the truck and disconnect the fuel line.
I have learned that manuals rarely tell you to do anything that would be considered a waste of time.
The clips are pretty durable, it's unlikely you'll break one, but if you are concerned, when you buy the spec'd fuel filter, get clips that fit each end of it. The clips themselves are pretty much standard size, it's the holes inside the clips that vary, so if they fit over the filter inlet and outlet, they'll work.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wrvond
Depressurizing the fuel system only becomes important when you are laying under the truck and disconnect the fuel line.
I have learned that manuals rarely tell you to do anything that would be considered a waste of time.
The clips are pretty durable, it's unlikely you'll break one, but if you are concerned, when you buy the spec'd fuel filter, get clips that fit each end of it. The clips themselves are pretty much standard size, it's the holes inside the clips that vary, so if they fit over the filter inlet and outlet, they'll work.
Yes. When you lay under there and gas sprays all over your face and coat, you'll wish you did it. Haha oh and if you do spill, coca cola gets gas smell out after a while. Not saying this was proven by me though. Lol
Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 PM

If the truck sits overnight, shouldnt the system pressure be low enough not to blow? How long should I expect the filter swap to take. I will already be under there for an oil change.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

it took me about 45 seconds to a minute to change it

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter Swap