Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Front Passenger Brake Drag?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Front Passenger Brake Drag?

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've been on here; but I'm in quite a pickle and need some advice...

2005 F-150 Screw XLT RWD

I'm having an issue where my front passenger tire drags slightly; but more so than I would consider perfect. Here's the history of the problem:

About 1.5 years ago, my front right caliper pistons shattered while driving and tire locked up, pulling hard to the right. In an emergency repair; and being away from home I limped it to the autoparts store and replaced the caliper, and front brake pads on both sides.

Just last summer, I was driving to Virginia, and noticed lots of vibrating on the front end and realized my hubs were completely shot. I upgraded to the centric 2-piece and replaced the drivers side caliper and hose. New pads also all around.

Just last week, noticed my truck was bouncing and skipping around turns; so I replaced all struts, and shocks. Feels great, but when I was taking off the wheels; I spun them to find the drivers side spins freely with no resistance and the passenger side has a slight resistance.

I called up Advanced and my caliper I replaced 1.5 years ago was covered under warranty; so I replaced it with a brand new one, along with a new hose. Bled the brakes; and still the same issue. Drivers side spins freely; but passenger side has resistance.

My question is: Do you think the failed hubs may have messed up the caliper I replaced 1.5 years ago, which in turn may have uneven wear on the pads/rotor; and only changing the caliper to brand new may still cause the drag? Will it eventually wear down and go away, or am I just making more problems by not changing out the pads/rotor when replacing the caliper? The pads and rotors are only about 5 months old with about 3,000 miles on them.

Is it normal to have a slight drag? It doesn't heat up or smell. My driver side literally spins freely with NO resistance... but that passenger side... ugh.

I would rather not replace the pads and rotor if I don't need to since I just replaced them in the summer... and I know it's against all mechanic's law to replace the items in the order I did, but back then, I was short on cash.

Is there anything else I can check before I replace the pads/rotor again? Or any other way to confirm it's one of those?

Thanks for any advice; I'm about to make another long trip to Virginia and New Jersey from Michigan, and want to be sure we're safe.

Thanks,
-Phil
Old 03-05-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turns out it was the pads. I replaced the front pads, and finally tore into the rear rotors. Replaced rear rotors, replaced and adjusted the e-brake shoes and new pads.... no more drag; no more brake vibration... truck feels like it came off the line in 2005.