Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Engine PCM/ECM

Old 05-23-2016, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine PCM/ECM

Hello,

I have to make a monthly round trip of about 2,000 miles, mostly at night in Texas where the cell phone service is non-existent for more time than not. I know the odds are highly unlikely that an PCM/ECM failure would occur in those isolated areas, BUT, I would feel more comfortable with a backup.

My truck is a 2006 F150 XLT, 4.6L, Extended Cab. Would a replacement PCM/ECM work in that type of situation? I figure any replacement would have to be flash matched to my truck, which afterwards I would store in the tool box. My question is, would it still work after months and the addition of miles AFTER the flash or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for any help or advise.

Josyph
Old 05-23-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I'd get a better cell phone company, I have Verizon and there's no where I don't get a signal. Or get a cb.

Last edited by RLXXI; 05-23-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:07 PM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

Yea, you're barking up the wrong tree. It's a little hard for us old geezers to get with the 21st century - but these computers in our vehicle are one hell of a lot more powerful and a lot tougher than your desktop computer. They are not like those old tube models we first got introduced to. They are more like the ones NASA put on the Mars Rover... work from about 200 below zero to +130 and keep on ticking years after they were supposed to give out. Your truck will likely do the same thing. I say don't even worry about it crapping out ---- unless and until, in the remote unlikeliness that it does.

Don't any attention to them "young sprouts" that just knock your cell service. - I looked at your profile @Rnlcomp! Lol
Old 05-23-2016, 09:14 PM

Received 2,208 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Originally Posted by josyph
Hello,

I have to make a monthly round trip of about 2,000 miles, mostly at night in Texas where the cell phone service is non-existent for more time than not. I know the odds are highly unlikely that an PCM/ECM failure would occur in those isolated areas, BUT, I would feel more comfortable with a backup.

My truck is a 2006 F150 XLT, 4.6L, Extended Cab. Would a replacement PCM/ECM work in that type of situation? I figure any replacement would have to be flash matched to my truck, which afterwards I would store in the tool box. My question is, would it still work after months and the addition of miles AFTER the flash or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for any help or advise.

Josyph
Is this a covert moonshine run? Where is this in Texas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine PCM/ECM