Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Ecoboost Plug Removal Trick?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Mr. Umimportant

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ecoboost Plug Removal Trick?

I am changing plugs on my 2012 Eco and am having problems getting the right angle/grip on the driver's side rear plug. I removed the one electrical clip that is in the way and was able to get the bolt out but I cannot for the life of me get the coil pack out (probably has to do with the fact that I'm recovering from spine and hip surgeries...).

As it is I already broke a small piece of the plastic on the top of a different coil pack but was able to JB weld that SOB back on. I just need to get this last plug out so I can finish the job.

Suggestions are appreciated....
Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Mr. Umimportant

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Bump for some help please....

Originally Posted by 12GBMPlatinum
I am changing plugs on my 2012 Eco and am having problems getting the right angle/grip on the driver's side rear plug. I removed the one electrical clip that is in the way and was able to get the bolt out but I cannot for the life of me get the coil pack out (probably has to do with the fact that I'm recovering from spine and hip surgeries...).

As it is I already broke a small piece of the plastic on the top of a different coil pack but was able to JB weld that SOB back on. I just need to get this last plug out so I can finish the job.

Suggestions are appreciated....
Bump for some help please.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:47 PM

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Kind of late, but it may help others. I found a little cheating method where I take a piece of speaker wire or similar and loop it beneath the plug on the coil and then just pull up on the wire. Worked pretty good after not being able to get any type of grip on the damn things to remove them.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Plug Removal Trick?