Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

drive shaft noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive shaft noises

I have a 2002 f150 5.4 4x4 with 134xxx miles. the driveshaft started 2 make weird noises a few weeks year when i backed my truck into some water to load a boat on a trailer. i hear a loud poping in the driveshaft when i go into reverse and now it makes loud poping and cracking sounds when im in drive going 25mph. i finaly got the guts to go under my truck and see what the damage was and heres what i visualy see-
1)one of the driveshaft bearings have broken in half and look like they havent seen grease in a long time 2) the differential is leaking were the driveshaft meats with the differential. the truck is going into the shop this week cause i work to much to do it myself but what im wondering is, did i do any extreme damage that might just break the bank? i would have tried to get into the shop earlier but this is my only vehicle and my workdays start at 6am and i dont usualy get off until after the shops are closed
Old 06-21-2010, 10:47 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

U-joints are easy to replace but can also be a real pain in the ***. Replacement joints come with a Zerk fitting for greasing and should be positioned pointing toward the driveshaft not toward the yokes.

Pinion seals are a different story for the average guy, its real easy to over or under torque the flange nut thus causing extensive damage to the ring and pinion.

Quick Reply: drive shaft noises