Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Doozy of a troubleshooting process any help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 02:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Doozy of a troubleshooting process any help appreciated

So one of the reasons i joined this site was to hopefully find some help with some troubleshooting tips i feel as though I've exhausted youtube and google at this point. Before i get into my question heres some specs ; 06 xlt 5.4 f150 with a roush supercharger 68k miles. I'll go through everything from beginning to end here haha. About 6 months ago i was almost talked out of buying this truck by the guys from work, they are all huge chevy fanboys and to be honest I've always just wanted a nice truck so i didnt mind who made it as long as it was nice and reliable. They told me again and again not to buy a ford especially not a 5.4 triton or i would have nothing but issues and never not have a problem that needs fixed. I didnt listen i went out and bought this truck haha. it was 10 grand with 66k miles on it and it was supercharged! I thought i got a hell of a deal the seller said no one wanted it because of the ridiculous paint job. About 3 months in i started idling very rough so i did a little research and went through different videos and websites and decided since i knew nothing about vehicles it was time to learn! Ive always been pretty mechanically inclined I got into maintenance and electrical work with no background and figured out most of what i know through trial and error. So, rough idle alright grabbed some carb cleaner and headed out to the truck turned it on and started hitting vac lines and got nothing, then i hit the intake manifold and wouldn't you know it it started sputtering! Alright intake manifold gasket that shouldn't be too terrible right? haha. Well that was my first repair on a vehicle and it was rough haha. I pulled out of the garage and got up to 30 then stomped it to see if i had boost and i did! I thought my troubles were over. About 3 days later I was sitting at a light and started idling super hard again, ok no problem maybe a line came out i put in I checked around and there we go! found a line i left out! Alright nice! drove around a bit and still when i got to stoplights or when i got to a drive thru for some food I would start idling really rough almost stalling sometimes. This is when i remembered when i changed the intake manifold gasket there was oil in the throttle body I did a little research and found out i was supposed to have a catch can so that wouldnt happen. (i havent installed one yet) So i went out and bought a new MAF and a new throttle body said hell with it maybe one of them is bad and they arent too expensive. I changed both, checked all my lines again for the 4th time at this point and went to driving again. after about a day it started again. I went online again! This time i saw that i hadn't cleaned my fuel injectors before i put them back in so i bought some lucasoil fuel cleaner and ran that through it. Nothing. So i went out and bought a "professional" OBD2 scanner, I found a guy on youtube that went through the entire process of a lean in bank 1 and 2 fault and spoke of each step along the way so i went out checked my long term fuel trim both at idle are in the high 20s and dont move until i give it gas. I checked my o2 sensors on the scanner and they all read as good voltage. I think the next step is fuel pump? To be honest this is where I've hit a wall I have gone this far with it (havent fixed the problem so not too far) and i don't want to just give up and take it to a shop, so i came here. The things I have seen online point me to; fuel filter, fuel pump, o2 sensors, fuel drive module ( i think its called that) its above the spare tire, I also have a small exhaust manifold leak? I bought an air fuel ratio gauge to put in at some point soon but i know its going to be off by a lot because of the leans in bank 1 and 2. Any advice or tips or if anyone thinks from this information they might know what it is it would be amazing to hear anything at this point haha. I AM LOST
Old 05-09-2019, 06:13 PM

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,672 Posts

I or others might be able to help but there is no way in hell I'm going to try and sift thru that ridiculous run on sentence you posted.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
I or others might be able to help but there is no way in hell I'm going to try and sift thru that ridiculous run on sentence you posted.
Hey man I appreciate the response but there are about 40 periods and 20 comas haha. Pretty much all I didn't do was do back and capitalize the lowercase i's, was I supposed to do a tldr or something for people? I thought more information would be helpful. Sorry for being thorough.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by steven baum
hey man i appreciate the response but there are about 40 periods and 20 comas haha. Pretty much all i didn't do was do back and capitalize the lowercase i's, was i supposed to do a tldr or something for people? I thought more information would be helpful. Sorry for being thorough.
Paragraphs! Usually taught in elementary school.
The following users liked this post:
Steven Baum (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Paragraphs! Usually taught in elementary school.
Ah, unreadable alright. Hopefully someone finds the will to power through not having a few spaces every once in awhile.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:23 PM

SMH
Old 05-13-2019, 02:26 PM

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

No, I didn't read this, but I did copy and paste just to break it up so someone who WOULD read it might be able to help you.

So one of the reasons i joined this site was to hopefully find some help with some troubleshooting tips i feel as though I've exhausted youtube and google at this point. Before i get into my question heres some specs ; 06 xlt 5.4 f150 with a roush supercharger 68k miles. I'll go through everything from beginning to end here haha. About 6 months ago i was almost talked out of buying this truck by the guys from work, they are all huge chevy fanboys and to be honest I've always just wanted a nice truck so i didnt mind who made it as long as it was nice and reliable.

They told me again and again not to buy a ford especially not a 5.4 triton or i would have nothing but issues and never not have a problem that needs fixed. I didnt listen i went out and bought this truck haha. it was 10 grand with 66k miles on it and it was supercharged! I thought i got a hell of a deal the seller said no one wanted it because of the ridiculous paint job. About 3 months in i started idling very rough so i did a little research and went through different videos and websites and decided since i knew nothing about vehicles it was time to learn! Ive always been pretty mechanically inclined I got into maintenance and electrical work with no background and figured out most of what i know through trial and error.

So, rough idle alright grabbed some carb cleaner and headed out to the truck turned it on and started hitting vac lines and got nothing, then i hit the intake manifold and wouldn't you know it it started sputtering! Alright intake manifold gasket that shouldn't be too terrible right? haha. Well that was my first repair on a vehicle and it was rough haha. I pulled out of the garage and got up to 30 then stomped it to see if i had boost and i did! I thought my troubles were over. About 3 days later I was sitting at a light and started idling super hard again, ok no problem maybe a line came out i put in I checked around and there we go! found a line i left out! Alright nice! drove around a bit and still when i got to stoplights or when i got to a drive thru for some food I would start idling really rough almost stalling sometimes.

This is when i remembered when i changed the intake manifold gasket there was oil in the throttle body I did a little research and found out i was supposed to have a catch can so that wouldnt happen. (i havent installed one yet) So i went out and bought a new MAF and a new throttle body said hell with it maybe one of them is bad and they arent too expensive. I changed both, checked all my lines again for the 4th time at this point and went to driving again. after about a day it started again. I went online again! This time i saw that i hadn't cleaned my fuel injectors before i put them back in so i bought some lucasoil fuel cleaner and ran that through it. Nothing. So i went out and bought a "professional" OBD2 scanner, I found a guy on youtube that went through the entire process of a lean in bank 1 and 2 fault and spoke of each step along the way so i went out checked my long term fuel trim both at idle are in the high 20s and dont move until i give it gas.

I checked my o2 sensors on the scanner and they all read as good voltage. I think the next step is fuel pump? To be honest this is where I've hit a wall I have gone this far with it (havent fixed the problem so not too far) and i don't want to just give up and take it to a shop, so i came here. The things I have seen online point me to; fuel filter, fuel pump, o2 sensors, fuel drive module ( i think its called that) its above the spare tire, I also have a small exhaust manifold leak? I bought an air fuel ratio gauge to put in at some point soon but i know its going to be off by a lot because of the leans in bank 1 and 2. Any advice or tips or if anyone thinks from this information they might know what it is it would be amazing to hear anything at this point haha. I AM LOST

Quick Reply: Doozy of a troubleshooting process any help appreciated