Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Disassembling or overhaul

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disassembling or overhaul

Hi, new to the site. I have a 2003 f150 Lariat crewcab! Several months ago it started running really bad and loosing water, trying to run hot! It was diagnosed as blown head gasket. After tearing down found that it was exhaust manafold gasket instead! Replaced all gaskets including head gaskets. After getting it back together it wouldnt turn over, it was said to be locked up that I need a new motor! Well Im hard headed and a new motor for something as simple as a gasket, not! Im tearing it back down to see just what the problem is but I want to make sure I do everything right, disassembling and reassembling! Where can I find a repair manual that they dont Charge you just to read it?
Old 04-19-2018, 08:51 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

An exhaust manifold gasket (which Ford typically DOESN'T use anyway) can't leak coolant. I'd demand every penny back from the shop that made that diagnosis, and didn't repair it correctly.

Shop manuals are not free. But you only have to pay for a hard copy once. I prefer Haynes for my antique Fords, but IDK how good it is for newer trucks.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I said it wrong but the water WAS going out the exhaust causing steam! No water in the oil! But Thank you for your response
Old 04-23-2018, 03:43 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Just a Girl
Maybe I said it wrong but the water WAS going out the exhaust causing steam! No water in the oil! But Thank you for your response
Steam from the exhaust = blown head gasket or cracked head.

Quick Reply: Disassembling or overhaul