Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Cranks and idles but sputters when you hit the gas

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks and idles but sputters when you hit the gas

I have a 2001 F150 5.4L Triton. After replacing motor it ran great for about 2hrs and then started sputtering really bad. Now it will crank and idle great but if I give it gas it sputters really bad and doesn't have the power to even move...injectors are good, fuel pump is good, coils are good. Check engine light is not on but the overdrive light is flashing. Anyone got a clue what to check next?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a '96 that did something similar to what yours is doing. It started and idled great. When given a little throttle to start it moving it would just shudder and quit. As soon as it was fully warmed up, it ran like a champ. Cleaning the throttle body fixed mine.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:51 PM

I had a misfire problem that sounds almost the same. Ford can run a diagnostic called mode 6 or something and it reads the miss fire info for each cylinder? About 135$ good luck
Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM

Cool

You may have done this but just in case, did you change the fuel filter?...or catalytic converters

Last edited by Sduce; 01-23-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:03 PM

I have plenty of pressure at the fuel rail so I don't think it's in the fuel line, I just ran a full bottle of seafoam thru the intake vacume and it did no good. The check engine light is not on but the overdrive light is flashing, I don't think the trans would have anything to do with the motor running though. I think I'm going to have to break down and take it to a dealer to trouble shoot.

Quick Reply: Cranks and idles but sputters when you hit the gas