Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Correct spacer dimensions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct spacer dimensions?

Hello. I have a '94 F150 XL. I swapped out the old 2G alternator for a newer 3G alternator which has turned into a labor of love. Long story short; The top hole of the new alternator is smaller than the old one, which means the new bolt I use is an M8 x 1.25 bolt. I also discovered that the new alternator doesn't fit the same holes or mounts from the bracket, and instead is pushed over to the passenger side fender a bit so that it fits.

First I wasnt using a spacer, so the serpentine belt kept coming off. It wasnt until I tried a nylon spacer that fit when it started to work much better. The spacer fit right inside the top hole of the alternator mount freely. Stuff happened that I fixed (broke solenoid on passenger fender = replaced. Alternator rear screw came loose and black/orange wires came out of their terminals = fixed). When I put the alternator back in after tightening the black/orange wires and new 4 gauge wire for the high output alternator, I decided to use a different nylon spacer. This one was a bit tougher to get in as it was a hair or two thicker than the previous one. I intentionally used it thinking the tighter fit would mean less slippage on the serpentine belt. Wrong, it seems to come off more now.

So I've hacked away at the old spacer, trying to get the stuff out. Eventually when it warms up I'll use the tap and die kit to hone out the old spacer and go back to using the previous nylon spacer since that worked better. I asked on another forum for the right spacer dimensions but got slack from one of the head techs of using nylon instead of metal. I pointed out that the hardware store down the street, Home Depot, and Lowes did not carry the metal spacer with the right dimensions. They had aluminum ones but they were too small for the M8 x 1.25 bolt.

It's already cold and we're expecting a snowstorm, so later I can go out and possibly get the right measurements. I thought may someone who did the conversion may already know the correct dimensions of the spacer needed. I've attached a photo of something similar of what it should look like. I'm also not using washers on the front and back of the top bolt. Are these required or no?
Attached Thumbnails Correct spacer dimensions?-spacer.jpeg